Butterflies on corokia?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stefan Olson 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Hi,

I’m working with a group around the Long Bay Reserve on the North Shore of Auckland. We are setting up a butterfly garden. Because we are planting in a wetlands beside the Long Bay Reserve we are pretty much limited to native plants only. Which is pretty limiting when it comes to providing constant food for butterflies. So trying to work through any possible plants that we can use.

Just wondering particularly whether anyone has seen butterflies on corokia cotoneaster?

Thanks,
    Stefan

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Thanks. I will pass that information on. We’ve come to similar conclusions to Dane. Thanks Jacqui for the other ideas. I will suggest that we get a few people doing the online course.

Thanks,
    Stefan

Jacqui

I endorse what Dane has said but the native daisies are useful.

Olearia hectorii, Pachystegia insignis and Brachyglottis kirkii

Also suggest to your group when publicising what they’re doing they encourage the locals to plant for butterflies – if they put in swan plants that is going to bring more butterflies to the area without spoiling the native theme to the reserve.

I also urge you to do our on line course – lots to think about it rather than just plantingn plants.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Try hebes stricta and speciosa. Muehlenbeckia complex the coppers. Never seen the butterflies on korokio. Natives are very limited for the monarchs.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.