Butterflies GONE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  monkey 4 days, 20 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

Finally was able to log in to the Forum – I kept getting the message:-

Forum
    “Sorry, but you do not have permission to view this content.”
    Not sure what happened there.

Up until the last couple of weeks there have been many butterflies over-wintering in Dominion Park, Hamilton. Then we noticed that the numbers were down. Initially we thought it was because we were visiting a bit later in the morning & maybe they had flown for the day. But no, we visited in the fog this am & there were about 5 to be seen. Then late this pm when they would normally be there I counted 6. Our weather hasn’t been too cold or wet, & up until a fortnight ago we saw quite a few in our garden during the day, but not over the last 3 days which have been mild& sunny

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

monkey
    Participant

This week in Dominion Park there were quite a few Monarchs flying around, more than we have seen for quite a while, & about a dozen still on the trees

And TWO WERE MATING!
    A bit early I would have thought……..

Jacqui

Interesting, Di. Quite often they proceed on to a larger, main overwintering site – so I guess this is what has happened here. Wish I knew where those sites were!!!

Wouldn’t it be amazing if we found an overwintering site similar to what they have in Mexico???

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.