Butterflies falling off chrysalis

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  raisinpaw 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

raisinpaw
    Participant

Hi, this is my 1st time raising monarchs. My first butterfly emerged a week ago when we were gone the entire day. I came home to find him on the floor of the enclosure, very weak 🙁 wings were well formed. I got him moved to safety but he died the next morning.

My 2nd one emerged today! (And I have a couple dozen more chrysalises, yay!) This one also fell, but fortunately I was right there and immediately was able to help her back up to hang from the top of the enclosure.

Why do my butterflies keep falling? I of course didnt see the 1st, but the 2nd just seemed to have slipped. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? I cant always be right there to rescue the fallen ones!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

raisinpaw
    Participant

Raised indoors. No pesticides. None indoors or out. The first one was in a mesh butterfly enclosure and actually landed on the caterpillars below. I now know that’s not good for them to enclose over the caterpillars. I borrowed a microscope and tested that butterfly for OE. Clear! Happy it wasnt that. This 2nd one, I moved the chrysalises to a new enclosure made out of a mesh laundry bag, so they’re separate from the caterpillars. I tied the chrysalises up with dental floss. I’m happy to report she has not fallen again! Hopefully just a fluke? She has a good grip on the mesh ceiling.

Jacqui

So much we don’t know, R.

Are you raising them indoors? Do you have any pesticides indoors? Think about pet collars, plug-in pest controls, recent spraying for insect control?

As you can imagine, the process of emergence (eclosure) takes a lot of energy for the butterfly and if they’re weak to begin with, it will be harder for them to hold on. What are the pupae hanging on? Is that perhaps too smooth, so it doesn’t give the butterfly purchase?

Jacqui

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.