Buddleia from cuttings.

This topic contains 66 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Dane Keriboi Hawker 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jane
    Participant

I have tried several methods of propagating Buddleia in the last few weeks just to see what works.

Cuttings in just water.

Cuttings in sharp sand.

Cuttings in willow water.(Willow leaves soaked in water)

All have been successful. The quickest method was cuttings in willow water. The salicylic acid has helped to form roots more quickly. 14 days.

Next was the cuttings in sharp sand. 20 days.

Lastly the cuttings in just tap water, are showing first signs of root initiation today. 28 days.

The message here though is, that ALL METHODS WORKED, and whatever method you choose – they are all pretty easy – so HAVE A GO!!!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Starting my Buddliea Forrest. Got a hillside to cover and I after as many different buddliea colours as possible. I have white, pink and a yellow which hasn’t flowered so I am not sure which one. Super keen for cuttings or plants. I have tried trademe and managed to get yellow. I have found the purple one but its banned here so will just leave it out.
    Cheers

Anna
    Participant

Jane, my email is annabarnett@xtra.co.nz Would you mind emailing me?

Charlotte
    Participant

HI Jane,

You’re so right there Jane. It still does our heads in at times;-)
    We probably wont be down your way until around May or June.

Our B. crispa was like that and now it seems to be taking off.
    We have the Montanoa grandiflora here also and this is a winter flowering tree and the Monarchs love it.
    The Montanoa grows really fast to which we like.

With B. savifolia and B. auriculata the only difference Al and I can see is the way it grows Jane. The leaves look very similar. So I guess we will have to wait till winter to see what they both do and have the camera ready for photos;-)

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Charlotte,

Do you know the difference between B. salvifolia and B. auriculata? They look the same to me – any ideas?

Jane
    Participant

Hi Anna and Char,

Anna, Jacqui will hopefully send you my email and if you send me your address on that I will organise some cuttings for you in the next week or two.

Charlotte, They are really difficult to ID and I have to admit that I haven’t even bothered trying with some of them. If you and Al are passing through here anytime when they are in flower you might be able to enlighten me on some because I think you have a better handle on their intricacies than I at his point. I will email you re the few I would like a bit of.

If you do a google image search of B. colvillei you will see some pics. The one here is B. colvillei kewensis, and it was flowering when I received the cuttings, but not since, although both plants are fairly young and slow growing. Each floret is quite large on the flowers and they are a burgundy brownish colour. I had never seen it before, but a horticultural friend found it in a local garden. My plants are only 60cm tall after 18months!!, but apparently they grow quite tall. I’ll keep you posted.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hey there Jane,

Good to see you back again;-)
    Thanks Jane it’s so hard to identify some Buddleias I tell you.

We’re happy to share with you Jane. Just email me as to which ones you would like and Al can cut some off for you;-)

Your B. colvillei sounds intriguing Jane and when the plant is established would love a cutting of it;-)

Anna I love the sound of a Budleia/butterfly calendar too with all the info on it.

Cheers
    Char

Anna
    Participant

Ooohhh Blutterfly, I’d love some cuttings as I’m trying to start a collection. I have some cuttings at the moment and am trying them in sand, as well as some in Willow water, until they strike. I’ll have some to share hopefully if they all strike…some I have to wait until they flower till I know what they are.

Jane
    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry I’ve been away for two weeks and off again tomorrow, but thought I’d pop in and see whats happening.

Those are terrific links Charlotte! I had a quick look and there are so many good pics and info. I have a few on your list Anna and can send you some cuttings when I come back if you are interested. I have quite a few that I haven’t identified though and a few of those look like B. davidii cultivars so I cut off the seedheads before they can mature to stop any unwanted spread that may ensue. Charlotte you have quite a few I would love a bit of.

The only one that I have that is not listed is B. colvillei which has a much larger flower than most buddleia and is quite different, however they are quite small and no-where near big enough to take cuttings yet:still seen no flowers, but I have them in pretty tough areas and they get no attention what-so-ever, but are still alive which is a testament to their hardy disposition. When they are large enough for cutting I will let you know.

Anna
    Participant

flutterby…now thats an even better idea!….and each buddleia could have growing descriptions ie: when it flowers, and its growth habits…phew…I’d buy some calendars like that:)

Charlotte
    Participant

A calendar with Buddleias and butterflies on the flowers;-))))))))))

Charlotte
    Participant

Fallowiana “white Alba”
    Buddleia Crispa
    Pink delight
    Lindleyana
    We do have another one in the garden but I will need to go and look at the label.
    But we have most of what Anna has listed above growing in our gardens and the Lantana’s.

Cheers
    Char

clinton9
    Participant

Hi Char,
    Buddleia bicolor have orange & pink colour on one flowers, making interesting shading from orange at thick base to pink at tip.

Cheers

Clinton.

Anna
    Participant

Here are the names of some Buddleias I have heard of…
    Nanho Blue
    Nanho Purple
    Royal Red
    Yellow Weyeriana
    Pink Cloud
    White Profusion
    Fallowiana “Lochinch”
    Salvifolia
    Spring Promise
    Silver Anniversary
    Dark Knight
    Rainbow
    Bi-colour
    Purple
    Mauve
    Light Mauve
    Weyeriana Golden glow
    Auriculata

….any others?

Anna
    Participant

It will be interesting to see what it is when it flowers Jacqui…a bit like a lucky dip!
    Darren, thats a great idea to have a chart/poster with different types of Buddleia, and their names….hey a calendar would be great wouldn’t it!? (I love this years Butterfly one)

Jacqui

Hard to say – wish it had flowers on it – but large leaves.

Here are some photographs I took. Bonnie is sitting up the top of a bank, so the trees are planted maybe 1 or 2 metres below her.

Buddleia at Paponga, near Broadwood, Northland

Charlotte
    Participant

Charlotte
    Participant

Could it be this one Jacqui?
    Its the one in the middle just up from the bottom.
    Looks lovely.

http://www.greenwichgardendesigns.com/BUTTERFLYBUSHES.html

Char

Elizabeth
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    Could it be Buddleia Alternifolia, which I well remember from the UK – a beautiful ornamental tree with scented mauve flowers arranged in “blobs” down the branches, as I remember. Truly lovely when planted as a specimen tree at the edge of water, with iris at its feet! Very graceful.

Jacqui

I have been driving today, down Paponga Road – you all know where that is, don’t you?

Yes, well, it’s sort of in the middle of Panguru, Kohukohu and Mangamuka. Hmmm… no better off? It’s sort of in the middle of Kaitaia, Opononi and Kerikeri. Sort of. Okay, try this:

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Paponga+Road,+Broadwood,+Northland&aq=0&sll=-35.302737,173.454119&sspn=0.107873,0.227966&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Paponga+Rd,+Broadwood+0491,+Northland&ll=-35.297194,173.454895&spn=0.431523,1.435089&z=10

And I came around a corner of this narrow clay road and there beside me saw a beautiful sight: Buddleias, TALL trees, maybe 4-5 metres tall, with graceful weeping foliage. No flowers, so I have no idea what colour they’ll be. However, about 5 kms later I saw the BAD one (B. davidii) and it was scrappy and in flower, so I don’t think the ones I saw first were the same species.

Took some cuttings – can’t wait to see what they do.

Charlotte
    Participant

Darren when I have some time I will send you all of our photos and the Buddleias that have been identified for you to write up a page.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

According to Jacqui Buddleia Silver Anniversary was imported a few years ago at considerable expense – the importers had to trial it here in NZ for some years to ensure it was sterile and wasn’t going to become a burden on our biodiversity. The breeder is Peter Moore.

Sadly it has a label saying that it is not ok to take cuttings from it.

Hopefully if it sells well the importers will bring in other varieties.

I have two other varieties, described to me as “a red” and “a yellow”. I’d be happy to send cuttings to people, but I have no idea what their proper names are.

Maybe one of you knowledgeable gardening types could knock up a identification guide to Buddlejas available in NZ? Or send me the info and I can create the pages for you.

Anna
    Participant

…and that link you gave us char also had one called 3 in 1. and is three colours on the same bush! Lets hope it can be available in NZ oneday:)

Charlotte
    Participant

Clinton if you go to the link above I pasted it will take you to the bicolor buddleia. It is several different colours and gorgeous.

Cheers
    Char

clinton9
    Participant

Hi Flutterbys,
    I got information from my computer…google

I never heard of buddleia bicolor…what is buddleia bicolor ???

Cheers

Clinton.

Anonymous

Hi Char
    The bicolour was being sold on Trade Me last year – I think by Jane. You might get lucky.
    Best
    Trisha

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.