Black spots on chrysalis

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  denise marshall 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

JacquieH
    Participant

Several of the chrysalis have one or two black spots on them, I have not seen this before, but one has many black spots (almost joining up) and the chrysalis is now starting to shrink. Have these been attacked by a predator? The caterpillars were outside until I brought them in to the castle inside with new plants due to the yellow aphids getting to the outside plants plus the nights are getting cold here in Christchurch.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

denise marshall
    Participant

I have another slant on this problem with the black spots, I have observed a tiny black 1m long [[ looks like a large sandfly with two parts to it’s body]] stick his pointed backside into a chrysalis and leave black spots,they never recover.. I think it could be the Encarsia wasp laying it’s eggs at the end of the season that’s why we don’t have have this problem at the begining of the summer. I now remove my Cats when they are in a j into my castle, this has been very sucessfull.

JacquieH
    Participant

Thanks Caryl (I think!)for that link – doesn’t cheer me up at all LOL! I am hoping not too many are going to be horribly deformed as my grandson is visiting from Oz and is hoping to see them hatch out. I am starting to wander if it is worth “allowing” Monarchs to visit my plants late in the season if this is going to be the result as my first batch resulted in over 50 healthy butterflies.

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Jacquie H, I also find it’s related to the weather. I have more of the ones with spots now that it is cooler. I am in Wellington. There’s a good site that informs about defects in a chyrsalides and the likely deformity.
    http://www.butterflyfunfacts.com/pupae-flaws.php
    Caryl

Jacqui

Hi Jacquie

There are a couple of very helpful overseas pages which will help identify the cause but it sounds much more like a pathogens that the monarch has picked up. Do a search on disease in the hot tags to the right and see what you come up with.

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.