Any admirals in Palmerston North?

• Creator
    Topic

Stefan Olson
    Participant

I’m thinking about planting some nettles in my garden for the red admirals. However, I’ve never seen one around in Palmerston North, so I’m not sure it’s worth planting nettles.

Does anyone know if red admirals exist in Palmerston North and more particularly in Hokowhitu?

And does anyone know if any of the garden centers here sell nettles?

…Stefan

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

Heh heh well as the crow flies its not that far to your place Blutterfy! … I’ll be waiting : ) and so much for our cracker day..it clouded over for much of the time : ( but its fined up again.

Observations:
    1/ Admiral pillars FIGHT just like monarch pillarz..Yep they headbang each other if space is getting a little pushed. : ).

2/ Admiral pillarz are wasters just like monarchs. Naughty naughty. Ive found nearly whole leaves on the floor of the box. :-\.

Jane
    Participant

Another Yellow Admiral today. Yipppeeeee!! This one has been given approximate directions to Swansongs place, with strict instructions to visit : ) followed by a list to visit Milkweed and Stefan too, so is going to be a busy little blutterfy isn’t it?

Swansong
    Participant

Last Roll call is 7+2 =9!!! : ).

Yep I found another 2. : )

Well Im pleased to say that my cuttings have lasted and lasted : ). The thing is to not let the stalk run out of water or they will wilt pronto, and its a little hard to get them back again but they do come back. It pays to check the water often, especially if your skungy with the tucker like me, and only put about 8″ tips in. This means you dont have a lot of stalk to play with, and so cant put the stalk too far down, without sacrificing some leaves which I dont want to do, depending on your method.

For those of us who cant afford to get stung for whatever reason, heres a warning about rubber gloves (the yellow ones we all typically use for this and that) stinging nettle WILL pierce through these if you, say, break the stalk off because youre too lazy to go and get scissors to do the job [yes Im speaking from experience ;-).] Now I put some kid skin gloves on 1st then the rubber gloves AND use the scissors and we should be good to go. Lesson learnt.

Hey Bryan, thats a great setup you describe with the felt pen lid. The dried arrangement is exactly what Ive used for any pillarz that want to wander off the nettles to moult for example. I have a box with the nettle clippings in their bottles placed inside and Ive put a dried arrangement hard up next to the nettles so they can go walk-a-bouts on that. Keep the pillars “off the streets” so they cant or are less likely get into mischief (that is, my dining room floor : ) )

We have an absolute CRACKER day here today and Im HOPING to see that Red Addy back, but Id like to see a Yellow too. Im greedy and want both : ).

bcjenk
    Participant

Hi all,
    I have plenty of yellow admiral eggs and pillars on my nettles in Cambridge. The eggs are easy to see if it’s sunny as they glint like a tiny glass bead. They can be single or in twos or threes. I also have plenty of wasps that are scanning the plants all the time. I have drilled a hole in the lid of some empty peanut butter jars and put a cutting of nettles in it. The hole wasn’t enough to hold it upright, so I made it just big enough to take the lid of a felt pen and fitted that tight in the hole. Cut the end off first to make a tube and push it down so the longest part is inside the jar.That holds the cutting upright and as long as the end stays in the water, it will last 4 or 5 days. I have 15 pillars on them at the moment and when they have eaten it off, I’ll put a new one in contact, in another jar, that they can transfer onto. I have no nets over it, as while they are small I don’t think they will wander off. When they are big enough to wander, I will put a dried arrangement close that they can go to for hanging. All very exciting!
    Bryan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I initally planted nettles in the Swan Plant pots, but after a bird attack, realised that cages would be best, so I now use my uncovered Nettles to attract eggs (not that happens in akl yet) and cut them for extra food when needed in the Admiral cage.

Robert.

Swansong
    Participant

Roll call check this a.m. = 7

: )

Swansong
    Participant

LOL youre not wrong about the camera. GREAT you heard a ‘Fisher! : ) Yeah Im pretty stoked about my lil pillarz. About all I can tell you right now is theyre real cute. The little loose “tents” they make on a leaf are a dead give away : ), so I got that one sussed, but the eggs, WOW theyre hard to spot.

Jane
    Participant

No didn’t see Kingfisher in Gravity Canyon, but did hear one : ) The Red Admirals didn’t sit still at all – WOW they are so quick – very hard to get a good long look at them, it makes me really appreciate the photos taken of Admirals by others. By the time you can even think “Camera” they are gone!! Fantastic bout your Admiral pillars : ) Keep us posted on those – how exciting!

Swansong
    Participant

Well I’m 95% sure I saw another Red Addy today about 2.30. The rascal was as quick as. Went immediately out to find, but nah, scarpered. :-|.

We get waxeyes here but they dont seem to be around just now.

Blutterfy, I was hoping the same about not covering. Itd be a mission for me as well. Ive got them planted under my kiwifruit vine where they get partial sun. It’d be doable up to point. Ive got some fine (about 1 Square cm holes) black netting and birds HATE it. Those waxys are persistent though.

Hey thanks for the info on that valley. Yes sometime it’d be nice to visit there but not yet for me. DId you hear/see any Kingfishers? .It sounds really nice and things are always better when theres Kingfishers :-))))) Did any Reds sit still long enough for you to get a nice look?

Jane
    Participant

Gee I wonder if the silvereyes will get my admiral caterpillars then. I wasn’t going to cover them with netting. The nettles covered in eggs would be hard for me to cover as they are largely planted at the base of all my tomatoes :/ Also between asparagus and broad-beans so would be a mission to cover them :/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Also Silvereyes like admiral caterpillars!

They sure need netting up as some many thing like eating them & their wandering.

Robert.

Jane
    Participant

Thats great news Swansong : ) yaaahhhooooo!! We took a drive to the Waiouru Army Museum yesterday, and on our return home we went exploring in Gravity Canyon just south of Taihape. Very happy to report that in that Valley there were many Admirals (red) sighted, and lots of nettles growing in the paddocks. That little valley is just stunning, and biodivertsity galore. We saw wild Kaka, Kakariki, Heron, and many Kereru to name just a few. This little valley is a scenic wonderland along the Rangitikei. We went as far as Colenso’s memorial, which is approx 7 kms from the end of the road, before leaving due to failing light. A ‘must return’ drive, and I would highly recommend when you are feeling up to it.

Swansong
    Participant

Thanks Norm you are a mine of info. Ive gotta go and brush up on what ive previously learnt coz Im not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer at the mo. ANyway, Heh Heh, 7 pillarz inside this a.m. : ). Wonder how many more I will find.

As you all know, I HATE any pillarz starving and Im thinking of this even now. I wont be a happy chappy if I run out of tucker. I’m finding it very difficult to spot any eggs. Theres seeds galore absolutely loaded and it appears theres a little husk or something that comes off the flower which looks like an egg. This is all so new. Oh yes, I squished a green shield beetle on the nettle too. I saw a tiny hopper type thing on a leaf too. Looks like theres quite a few things that park up on nettles.

“Just for the record – blackbirds love admiral caterpillars also.”

Oh is that right??? Mmmmm, if she looks sideways at them I’ll tan her hide… 😐 [Ive threatened this B4, but Im all soft at the mo coz she’s FINALLY got 3 babies and 3 eggs thats 6!!!! in the nest, last time hubby looked. Making up for a skungy cold spring when the 1st 4 didnt come to anything : (. Certainly 2 of the 6 wont make it and more likely 3. ]

Ooooo I cant wait to see if theyre Red or Yellow. Im hoping for Reds but I wont be disappointed with Yellows. Who knows it might be both!!! We havnt seen Yellows for aaaages, but pretty sure of 2 sightings of Red! : ).

Good tip about the Lid. I’ll have to think about this. Mmmm might jack up a cardboard frame to just sit on the top of the box which keeps things tightish.

: )

NormTwigge
    Participant

If the stalks are a little woody it may be advisable to crush the stem, otherwise it doesn’t matter. Many of the varieties of wasp will take the smaller caterpillars, larger caterpillars can often deter the wasps. At 15 mm. your cats are almost half grown, and will reach about 35 mm. when fully grown.
    Just for the record – blackbirds love admiral caterpillars also.
    When you place a net over top of the box, make sure the net is fastened to a lid which can be removed, as the pillars will probably pupate on the net.
    And the suspense of – will they turn out to be red admirals or yellow!
    Cheers.

Swansong
    Participant

GREAT! Thanks Norm for the tip. Will it extend the time if I crush the stalk a bit? Anyway, inside tomorrow they will come. Im using yellow rubber gloves. These pillars are all I would estimate be 1.5 CMs. : ))))) Theyre going to go in a box with a net over the top so no one gets any bright ideas of going walk abouts.

I really dont know if there are wasps about at the mo as there seems to be so many varieties of wasps and I dont know which ones affect Admirals or at what stage. They seem to come and go and you never know when theyre going to turn up. I seem to recollect seeing them from time to time right through the year : (.

I found one of my tips (about 4inches) off the U.Urens had wilted and when I pulled it out of the plant it looked like something had chewed the top off. I bet it was my Mumma BB. She does things like that. :-|.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

Great news.
    Cut Urtica urens will last 3 or 4 days in water, so if you have wasps around I would be inclined to bring them inside.
    Norm.

Jacqui

Hey that’s wonderful news, Swansong and Blutterfy! Awesome news.

Swansong
    Participant

YAAAAAAAAAY !!!! [OK Blutterfy Im gonna blame you for this outburst 🙂 coz Ive caught it off you ] Further investigation proved fruitful ..

4 addy pillars : ))) Im very VERY excited. Now all the noob questions are flooding my mind and Im somewhat in a lather : ). My 1st thought is to bring them in coz boy Ill be brassed off if anything happens to them.

Can I successfully clip some U Urens and put it in water and bring it inside? How long will this be OK for B4 it wilts?

Charlotte
    Participant

Great news Blutterfly;-)

Like Swansong I love your enthusiasm;-)) and cant wait for the Admirals to visit me as well.

Cheers
    Char

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good to hear Blutterfy.

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Blutterfy,

That is very exciting news! can’t wait till I can get some flowers growing and attract some of your new butterflies 🙂

…Stefan

Swansong
    Participant

OK Blutterfy, so your enthusiasm is too infectious for me to ignore : ). Hubbies gone out NOW to look on ours. Yesterday my ever vigilant hubby reckoned he spotted a Red Addy by our Japonica and then we both saw a somewhat silhouetted butterfly quickly disappear around the side of the house. He was tooooo fast to absolutely verify, but it couldn?t have been anything else. : )

Mmmmm, well he cant see any eggs : (. However, there are a few leaves that are folded over, which will need further investigation.

Jane
    Participant

ADMIRAL EGGS!!!! yes yes yes admiral eggs!! Admiral eggs on my nettles in Palmerston North. I had a look yesterday, and sure enough tiny eggs laid on the stinging hairs at the ends of branches on Urtica urens…..soooo exciting : )

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All,

I’ve being hiding in the woods & there was sure lots of Red Admirals in the Urewera & Whirinaki ranges. I never seen so many. Generally one a time, but one place had at least 4 flying together (I was driving at the time, so just a glace).

I think we’re in for a good year.

There’s a reasonable population of Admirals in the Manuwatu, so shouldn’t be too long for those of you waiting.

Robert.

Swansong
    Participant

Good one Blutterfy! Yeah theyre quick eh! My mum spotted a red last year in town and considering all the moaning I was doing for not seeing one, she decided to try and capture it to show me. So she ever so carefully snuck up to it and got all positioned …and POUNCE! ….but nah, too quick….butterfly was out of reach before you could blink. Boy was she brassed off.

Ive been looking on my U.Urens which appear to be doing well, and I cant see anything either, except a few “bullet holes” here and there at the bottom.. and Im giving them a wiiiiide birth as I cant afford to get stung. I havent seen any Addies for a good while, but seen monarchs as always (even right through the winter) gliding around in town on ncer days.

Looks like we are still in winter, and we’re heading for yet another cold snap :-(.

Swansong

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.