Any admirals in Palmerston North?

• Creator
    Topic

Stefan Olson
    Participant

I’m thinking about planting some nettles in my garden for the red admirals. However, I’ve never seen one around in Palmerston North, so I’m not sure it’s worth planting nettles.

Does anyone know if red admirals exist in Palmerston North and more particularly in Hokowhitu?

And does anyone know if any of the garden centers here sell nettles?

…Stefan

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stefan Olson
    Participant

great news! I have unexpectedly found two yellow admirals in my conservatory over the past two days. I had four caterpillars go missing, so at least two of them have turned themselves into a chrysalis and hatched!

Very exciting!

I have three chrysalis inside, two are slightly transparent, and I’ve been expecting one to come out for the last week, but no progress thus far.

was hoping for some reds to give to Blutterfy, so I’ll have to wait and see what the others are.

… Stefan

Jane
    Participant

Stefan,

I've been out and had a very quick look, but no sign of Admiral eggs or caterpillars at the moment, but I have seen the butterflies recently so it won't be long. There are plenty of healthy looking nettles so they won't be able to resist it! As soon as I find some, you'll be the first to know : ) Like you I see them nectaring on the Buddleias, and they don't seem to care which colour over here – purple, pink, yellow, cream – seen them going from one to another.

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Blutterfy,

Have confirmed today that it was a yellow, as it was back this morning! They do fly very fast, don't they? Certainly would appreciate some caterpillars.

…Stefan

Jane
    Participant

Thats great news Stefan. I have seen yellows several times here in the last week but haven't had a chance to look for eggs or pillars yet, but I will. If I find some I'll email you to come and get some

See ya – Jane

Jacqui

Hope so, Stefan!

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Just saw what I believe is a Yellow Admiral sunning itself on my bag of compost! hopefully there'll be some caterpillars soon!

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Julie,

Butterflies need at least two things, one is food and two is somewhere to lay their eggs. The nettles provide them with somewhere to lay their eggs. A buddleia plant is useful to attract the butterflies and provide food for them. There are few available near you: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=BUDDLEIA&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=0&generalSearch_suggested=0

…Stefan

julieholmes
    Participant

HI, Im new to butterflys and have also just paid my butterfly trust membership. AM doing great so far with monarchs for my first season. I really am keen on attracting red admirals to my garden aswell . Can you please let me know if its possible where I live- Helensville and where I can get a nettle plant or two, is there any type that is best, there are nettle seeds on trade me or is it best to get a plant best? thanks, Julie

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Very exciting news! Yesterday I saw a red admiral in my garden. Unlike what everybody else says, he(she?) was very relaxed and was eating from my purple Buddleia and relaxing in the sun. Even after I got back from church he was still there.

But now I have a question, he was eating from the purple Buddleia but not from the yellow one. The monarchs have pretty much taken control of the yellow one, is that why he wouldn't be eating from it? Do admirals like only specific types of Buddleias?

No sign of caterpillars on the nettles yet 🙁 (except for a few monarch chrysalis 🙂 ) If I don't see some in the next week Swansong, I will come and pick some up if you still have any left.

…Stefan

Jacqui

Hey Swansong… please send me an email. I will explain why~ Most embarrasing. 🙂

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Hope you slept tight Jacqui.

If you want to come over and have a look at the three gloves I have, to see if they would suit you, just ask Jacqui to send you my e-mail address.

…Stefan
    Unquote

Jacqui can you please send me Stefans email, but better would be phone if youve got it and it’s OK with you Stefan.

Yes the colours are so different. I believe they do have little goldy bits. I’m sure somewhere someones mentioned you can at some stage tell whether they are Reds or Yellows. I’ll have to go dig for some info.

Jacqui

Wonderful the variation in the colours, isn’t it. I had some that were PURE GOLD! Amazing, they sparkled in the sunlight.

Nighty night Swansong.

Swansong
    Participant

Thanks for the link Stefan.

“let me know anytime if you want to come and have a look.”

Thanks. Will do.

Oh I do hope the Addys will visit you soon. The weather is still as lousy as, isnt it??? : (. Just when we think we’ve broken the back of winter its back…or at least to me it feels like it.

2 of my Addys have gone into hockey sticks. The others are sedately munching away and Im thinking they definitely have more manners than our naughty naughty Monarch pillarz. Heh heh though I see one was about to go walk about and was on the box flap and had bypassed the dried arrangement, either by accident or design, who knows. Ive noticed quite a variation in the colours of the pillars. Some are more green overall, some are darker.

Cheers
    Swansong

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Swansong,

It’s actually called a Maxi Flex Endurance – they have the name wrong on the quote. Anyway, if you want to see what they look like. You can go to this site and click on MaxiFlex? – Endurance 34-847:
    http://www.atg-glovesolutions.com/en/FIND-A-PRODUCT-3.html

I’m not privileged enough to have caterpillars yet, so I can’t let you know how easy they are to work with in these gloves. 🙂

Anyway, let me know anytime if you want to come and have a look.

…Stefan

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Stefan, the Max Flex Endurance sound good. Ah I just looked and they arent Manawatu.

I’ll have to wait a bit B4 I can get in touch with you.

IN the meantime the Kidskin gloves inside the yellow rubber ones give excellent protection and fairly good feel, which you need when you are placing nettle tops in bottles and managing pillars that sometimes drop off the plant if theyre disturbed. I use a wooden toothpick and roll it under them just like baby monarch pillars and it works great, especially when they are stirring. I can also manage my plastic tie thingee which beats tying knots with gloves on any day : ).

Cheers
    Swansong

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Swansong,

I’ve received a couple of other gloves from safeworx. this one (which costs $4.26+GST):
    http://www.safeworx.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=75&categoryID=3
    Is not very useful, because it is too hard to move your fingers. It has nitrile on both sides so you won’t get stung.

The other one they sent me, a Max Flex Endurance 09 (which costs $12.50+GST) has a completely different type of covering, but you don’t get stung at all on either side. Unfortunately I can’t find it on their website. It is easy to move your fingers on this one, although not quite as easy as the first one I was sent, but at least you won’t get stung. I suspect over time, it will become slightly easier to move.

I’m definitely going to buy the max flex endurance gloves, they look to give me excellent protection when working with nettles. However, unlike you I won’t be using gloves. For most of my garden work, I only use it for working with nettles.

If you want to come over and have a look at the three gloves I have, to see if they would suit you, just ask Jacqui to send you my e-mail address.

…Stefan

Swansong
    Participant

Great observation Bryan. Engineering indeed. No amount of big bang theory could produce that! : ) Yes, they are industrious little fellows arnt they. Amazing.

Ive found around 2pm theyre quite “free” about appearing unhidden and just munching up on leaves. I thought they would quickly hide and bulid their tent as soon as they finished one leaf and onto the next. Im learning.

Heh, you can stick to your dock leaves Rob, but no stings for this girl, and Id say the same for others who have allergies and what not. No choice and certainly none for me at this time. I MUST wear gloves. Yes you cant beat bare fingers, and sure any glove can be a nuisance but these days they have come up with better products and ideas for things. We really are spoilt for choice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I personally find gloves makes work awkward. So I say have a supply of Dock leaves to rub on your skin if you get stung as this is the only way of reducing the effects of the sting. I also find that you can fold the stinging hairs by sliding your hand onto the leaf (from the stem end) or the stem (not so safe). Of course this technically damages the plant, so I make this a minimal contact effect.

Their engineerring work is great & it must occupy them for some time, but I can see why they take this time to protect themselves from predators & the elements (I’m sure this keeps them from freezing in winter frosts).

Robert.

bcjenk
    Participant

An observation – The more I see of these little critters, the more respect I have for them. I was watching a new minute caterpillar, no more than 1.5mm on a large leaf that must have seemed like the size of a football field. The leaf had a split from the outside to the centre and the pillar appeared to be feeding at the split in the centre. I checked again in an hour and the split had been drawn together. After another couple of hours, I looked again and the leaf was folded in half. Now that’s what I call engineering. What a clever cloggs! They must be able to shrink their threads to make it draw in! That’s hard enough to say 3 times – Shrink threads!
    Bryan.

Swansong
    Participant

“paper bag maybe”

: )

What about a Net Kelly mask? : )

I was too close for comfort when I was looking for the pillars, and almost got stung. I will have to REALLY watch it.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Stefan and Swansong,

I use Nitrile gloves too. Nitrile gloves are a set protective clothing requirement for chemical handling. I have had to use them for that purpose for years, so figured I’d try them for Nettles too – and no stings yet. I do get stung when I’m just hanging out there without the gloves though. I looked too close the other night, and the Nettle got me on the face – no gloves for that….paper bag maybe……tehe

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Rob, no I dont think theyre quite as bad as monarchs either, and they sure can hide.

Stefan, thanks.

They look like some I’ve long since put holes in the fingers. I paid about 10 bucks at the warehouse and that was 5-10 years ago. If theyre not the same theyre very similar. They were excellent gloves but quite stiff on the finger tips. The key thing I like about rubber gloves and of course this is meaningless if youre gonna get stung through them, is IF and only IF you get good fitting ones, you can feel better what youre doing as theyre flexible. Im not sure what the nitrile gloves would be like in this regard, but Im certainly interested. Please do keep us posted on how you go with the new ones youve mentioned. Ive got some vinyl gloves which were quite pliable to start with but as times gone on being used in hot sink water theyve become very stiff.

Swansong

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Swansong,

Regarding gloves – I’ve been using some gloves from safeworx: http://www.safeworx.co.nz/cs/prodView.asp?idproduct=274&categoryID=3

They have a nitrile covering, which means that you don’t get stung at all. Unfortunately they only cover three quarters of the glove, so you can still get a little stung on the top part.

They are sending me a couple of other options that are fully covered, so I’ll let you know how those go.

I’ve just repotted my nettle plant in these gloves and only got the tiniest sting on the top part of my hand.

…Stefan

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

They sure drop leaves, but I don’t think they are as wasteful as Monarchs.

However, they are really great at hiding, esp when small (to get to 1/2″ undetected is very good hiding in my books). They adapt their colour to the environment really well as Larvae & Pupae.

Robert.

Jacqui

🙂 Sound like you lot down in Palmy are having fun, admirable fun. 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.