Ants just ate catepillar

• Creator
    Topic

sandyj
    Participant

Im so gutted. I moved into a place last year and its got a milkweed plant. Ive been watching the monarchs lay their eggs and the caterpillars hatch. Yesterday i discovered a chrysallis and this morning i saw another caterpillar hanging in the j position. Ive been heading out there every hour or so to see what changes have happened and i just went out and found it descemated by ants. What can i do to help the other caterpillars and is this normal.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

kent26
    Participant

The Borax recipe is:Half a cup of sugar/1 and a half Tbsps Borax to 1.5 litres of warm water.Soak cotton wool balls and place on ant run.

kent26
    Participant

Hi,
    I use a Borax recipe.Soak cottonwool balls in solution,ants come along,drink the juice,go back to their nest and die..no more ants around or on my swan plants!

Raymond
    Participant

The ants are usually trying to catch the caterpillar when it transforms from J to Chrysalis. I often take the J cats in side to transform to Chrysalis, especially the ones which wandered off out of my netted area. When they are Chrysalis they seem to be pretty safe from ants. But I also have lost a few J’s to ants in the netted area as these tiny ants get in almost anything.
    I have started using raid near the base of the plants to stop ants climbing onto them.

sandyj
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui. Ants are a real problem here, worst Ive ever seen. If I miss a crumb on the floor I end up with them swarming all over the carpet and if im weeding in the garden im constantly unearthing ants everywhere. Ive put some ant bait near the bottom of the plant so hoping that helps. My first butterfly emerged this morning, darn, missed it but have been watching it dry its wings and was there for its first flight. Just keeping an eye on the other caterpillars as they look big enough to form chrysallis’s now. Sorry, dont know the correct jargon, complete newbie here.

Jacqui

If ants are hungry they will dine on caterpillars or pupae.

Suggest you reduce the ant population – I use ant baits to remove them from parts of the garden where they are a pest. Available at any supermarket.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.