Any spare wings in Wellington?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

ggh
    Participant

I have a lad with mangled wings that I’d like to try surgery on. He got stuck in his chrysalis and so his poor wings stayed all crumpled up. I saw this: http://glorious-butterfly.livemonarch.com/hospital/ and thought I’d give it a go if anyone has a spare set of wings. This would be my first time, and it would be a tricky attachment so success is unlikely I admit, but I’m still hopeful.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Last night the story had made it to the Sydney radio and tonight TV3’s news, TV1’s Breakfast Show tomorrow I believe…

Jacqui

Jacqui

Hi Blake

Why not give Linda Archer a ring? Do you know who you spoke to at Kapi-Mana? If so, ring them back. It does pay to be persistent – with the jurnalists it’s a case of the “squeaky wheel”.

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Good news! welldone getting the story in the national paper!! saw the Stuff online article too. How/ who did someone approach to get it in the paper? There must be certain journalists who do ‘nature’ articles, compared with say crime news or family stories..

I never heard back from my local newspaper Kapi-Mana about running a small article about tagging- with the local spin of my 61/2yr old releasing 18-22 tagged butterflies at least once a week at our local reserve 🙁 I even had the luck of a professional photographer find one of our tagged butterflies and he had taken great photos he said I could use. The buddlieah bug ‘butterfly’ story that ran in the DOM Post 3 weeks ago was also run in the Kapi- mana. interesting they picked that article up.

I was a bit sad that the national tagging program didnt get any mention at all. Does Linda Archer tag her butterflies?
    Honestly if more people knew there were tagged butterflies to look for im sure it would catch on as a fun thing to do with your kids for those outdoorsie people and more sightings would be recorded… its not far off the concept of catching ‘pokemon’!!

Jacqui

LeslieD
    Participant

just read the article 🙂 very cool. I have kept my dead butterfly from last week. Her wings are perfect. Some lucky butterfly might get to benefit.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

I live in Kapiti and have a bank of of wings as my neighbours also bring me them. They have seen Monarchs flying after surgeries to fix holes and tears – and with full wing replacements – so support the cause.
    So folk are welcome to any of them – I have small mediums and large sizes.

Fiona

Jacqui

I believe there will be a story in the Sunday Star Times on Sunday 29 April… Watch out for it! The journalist was very excited .

ggh
    Participant

Blue&Pink is still okay, though he’s flapped around enough in his new wings that he’s put a rip in one of the hind wings. He drinks sugar water (I don’t have any proper flowers – I tried honeysuckle, but have gotten no takers) which I have sometimes unfurled his proboscis into. I’ve done that with a number of them while I wait for decent weather to release them in. Currently, my tool of choice is the end of a cable tie. 🙂

He’s alone at the moment. I think he was happier with company, but there’s likely to be a couple more in the morning. My daughter and I are going away for a few days soon… I might have to take him with us. At one point we had three butterflies in the mosquito net with him, and he climbed it pretty effectively to hang out with them. When he was all crumpled, he stayed on the bed, so I guess the new wings helped him with something at least. 🙂

As for how he felt during the surgery… he didn’t enjoy it I’m sure, but he really didn’t struggle as much as I expected. It reminded me of how sheep just kinda go limp once you flip them over and start shearing them. I was worried about whether I was crushing his legs under him with the hanger, but I don’t really see a way around that. Also, I think it was just dumb luck that I didn’t glue his legs to his wings or to the towel accidentally. I wonder if I should try to powder the towel next time, or maybe add a layer of toilet tissue between towel and butterfly.

If I could think of a way to realign his fore wings, I’d give it another go, but I can’t, so he might have to be happy with human company and the pre-release winged buddies.

Gotta say, thinking about this and trying to work out how a reinforcement might be done has really given me a new appreciation for just how light butterfly wings really are.

Thanks for letting me know about your spares – I’ll definitely be in touch if this comes up again. 🙂

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Gosh I read the article link you posted. I thought I was dedicated!!! What an amazing feat you attempted.
    We’ve had butterflies that have either fallen on ground while drying or gotten stuck. I have a large frog terrarium with darkened sides, that I have my pre-release butterflies in while I wait for storms to pass, or a number are hatching simultaneously and I keep together to transport further a field. The ones Weve kept live in there happily.
    Weve had a couple of ‘Curlies’, ‘Crinkle’ and ‘Floppy’. Floppy hatched and dried hung over a curtain rail. Perfect wings, but both curled over to the left so he could only climb about. He ended up so ‘tame’. He knew the feeding routine and when new butterflies went in the tank he went to a favourite spot. He also ate cut hebe flowers and sunbathed on a box hedge. He lived 9 weeks happily.

How is your Pink and blue? Does he suck at honey water ok? Have you had to unroll his tongue to get him to eat? I tend to force feed my butterflies after a couple of days if they wont eat on their own. A stupidly fiddly task, but Im proud Ive mastered the technique with a certain flat spoon, rimmed plastic container and a bobby pin.

Im in Porirua, should you wish to keep in touch for any further projects. I do have one set of healthy appendages from a wild rescue attempt. I had in the past thought to trim off a small wing fold from a butterfly or the majority of wings that had dried from butterflies mostly stuck in chrysalis that I tweezered out. Some just cant seem to pull themselves out if they go into chrysalis without having something in front of them to grip on to. I simple dont know the reality of any discomfort. I have euthed in the freezer a few that were terribly malformed with tongues that would never work. Do you think your butterfly was uncomfortable in his ‘surgery’?

Ps. I was anesthetic Vet Nurse 11 yrs ago and also involved in bird and Nz Skink releases. A critter enthusiast at heart.

Caryl
    Participant

That’s pretty amazing ggh. Because all 4 wings were badly crumpled it was never likely to be a success. You have a lot of courage to do that and it’s a reminder to us all to save butterfly wings when we can. Caryl

ggh
    Participant

Thank you Caryl for the wings!

So, after a lengthy operation yesterday, Blue&Pink still hasn’t flown, but he seems no worse for wear. He was a great patient, and I learned a lot. And now I have probably the only transvestite butterfly in the Eastern suburbs.

There’s still a slim chance he will fly after a bit of practice, but I have to admit it’s unlikely. Due to the crumpling of his original wings, I couldn’t line up the veins very well and also, either because of how far I had to cut those wings back or due to original angle, he can’t really bring the new wings together at rest. I think that might be his main problem now.

I did his hind wings first and they accidentally got glued to the towel I was working on, but that was actually a blessing in disguise, because then I didn’t need to restrain him from above, which allowed me easier access to work on the fore wings. And freeing the wings from the towel afterwards wasn’t too hard.

The thing that surprised me the most was that he’s still fairly friendly after all I put him through. 🙂

Caryl
    Participant

I am in Seatoun and one tagged butterfly I found dead and have it on my fridge door. The wings are papery though and may not be fresh enough to use. Caryl 027 8426773.

rob cooper
    Participant

how bad are the wings photo please robincooper60@gmail.com

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.