Amazing caterpillar

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Terry 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD
    Participant

I’m in the Orkneys on holiday. Today I saw the biggest caterpillar i’ve Ever seen. He was the centre of quite a bit of attention as he had strayed onto a boardwalk from a moor type habitat. He was at least 2 inches long, dark green with tufted black bands with gold spots on bands.
    We do have a photo but no means of getting it off the camera
    I’d love to know what it is.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry
    Participant

These moths are very popular with breeders who keep them in captivity. The pheromones from the females are so powerful that a female placed out in a cage on their habitat will attract many males to the cage from long distances so it is always quite easy to gain new blood to introduce to the captive stock.

LeslieD
    Participant

That’s a great link … thanks Terry, I’m pretty sure you are correct.

Terry
    Participant

watch this video! Shows the darker form of the larvae as well as the green form.

LeslieD
    Participant

yes it could be … I was stunned by the sheer size of it 🙂 and the colors too

Terry
    Participant

It looks like an Emperor Moth larvae! Google it on Google images and see if that matches yours!

LeslieD
    Participant

IMG_EOS 7D Mark II201908159616

So here is a link to some photos of caterpillars and a butterfly from our holiday. First is the big caterpillar we saw in the Orkneys, I’m wondering if its a caterpillar of a lunar moth?
    The rest of the photos were taken in the vicinity of the Smithsonian in Washington DC. I’m not sure what the butterfly is, but the caterpillars are apparently of the golden Swallowtail Butterfly. They are eating parsley.

I was interested in the sign regarding monarchs. We saw a few monarchs in Washing DC.

Probably the best place for butterflies we visited was Hawaii. We didn’t see a lot in Europe or the UK despite buddleia being everywhere. Hopefully we just were not in the right place.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.