admiral caterpillar

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD
    Participant

I picked some common nettles from the farm to have for dinner (they are very good). when I got them home I noticed a little black fluffy caterpillar on one. So I guess I’ll need to leave the nettles for now. Little guy is languishing on his nettle on the dining table with some monarch chrysalids.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

correction .. turns out Spike is a red admiral. Anyway a feisty little thing, was totally ready to fly off just now even though the temp in Welly is a cold 14 with a light southerly. I’ve planted some nettles in top garden and will plant Spikes personal nettles in a pot on the deck + get some more from the farm.

LeslieD
    Participant

Spike e-closed today 🙂 a lovely yellow admiral. He/she (how do you tell?) is in a caterpillar castle till the weather is suitable for release. I’ve seen other admirals round here so hopefully Spike will be at home.

I’m very happy about it 🙂 I needed a bit of a ‘boost’ between the awful news on the radio, the shit weather and other things its great to see a little bit of brightness.

LeslieD
    Participant

I dug him up a plant yesterday and it looks ‘ok’ he has built himself a little hut on his original piece so will peg him on to new plant and hope for best.

Jacqui

🙂 Nice save, Leslie! You might find that the nettle doesn’t last very well in water. I haven’t found the trick – need to bring in fresh nettle for the vase every day.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.