A female Lesser Wanderer butterfly was caught

This topic contains 192 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  clinton9 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

clinton9
    Participant

Today,

I caught the female Lesser Wanderer butterfly in wasteland near Thames Refuse Transfer Station this afternoon.

This late morning I were hunting for aussie butterflies and I went to retirement building by Richmond Rd and looked for butterflies, but no aussie butterflies.

Then I went to wasteland by Refuse Transfer Station and looked for aussie butterflies, but I saw a red admiral butterfly and I went after it so I can get it to lay eggs on my potted nettle, but I lost it as it flew away north-westward toward sea. Then I biked eastward and when I stopped biking by a bench, to check for Aussie butterflies and suddenly I saw a Lesser Wanderer butterfly flying from dump, then I went after it, and swinged my $ 2 net at it…missed…it flew fast for 11 metres…then it dropped onto a long dead grass stalk…I swinged the net across the grass & caught the Lesser Wanderer butterfly.

When I handled it carefully, I found tip of hind body were damaged…#@@# how little careless I were, as I was hoped to send eggs to Zac (nzwings), but only if butterfly is willing to lay eggs. Otherwise Zac have to accept a gift from me in form of a damaged butterfly. If it won’t lay eggs in few days time, I have to kill it and send the butterfly to Zac.

The Lesser Wanderer butterfly is alive and in my smaller caterpillar castle with orange-flowered milkweed (swan plant).

Viewing 17 replies - 176 through 192 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    Replies

clinton9
    Participant

Weather forecasting say Tomorrow to Tuesday: Sunny & fine day, light winds = ideal weather for butterflies to fly.

Reminding ourselves, Zac & me, about butterfly-hunting tomorrow ! There might be 1-2 aussie butterflies atill alive.

But check with weather forecasting 1st.

Jane
    Participant

That is great news Norm. Somehow that butterfly knew to go past YOUR place.That is one VERY smart butterfly!

The Lesser wanderer couldn’t be in better hands, and I wish you every success with this exciting new project. If you are successful, then it will prove that perhaps others may be able do it too. BEST OF LUCK!

NormTwigge
    Participant

milkweed – I am in Whakatane

clinton9
    Participant

Zac,
    Lesser Wanderer butterfly caterpillars are tender and during May 2004 the caterpillars died following cold nights, at same time the Monarch Butterfly caterpillars remain alive.
    On June 2004 the butterfly I released, were seen flying low after a cold night. Lesser Wanderer butterfly can surivie down to OoC, but caterpillars cannot.
    Pays to rear the caterpillars indoor during winter.

Zac
    Participant

hi norm that is wonderful news:)
    i think it would be a fantastic idea to release them all in the hope they take hold. and yes for sure norm, if the the next generation are furtile share some of them out. 20 would be enough, and to send them as pupae would be the safest option as i have a very large indoor as well as outdoor butterfly aviary. i have been breeding native butterflies for 14 years now, and i have worked with otago museum in the past with the tropical butterfly house down there. i know plenty about butterfly raising and i would be the perfect candidate to help make this species more abundant. masterton would good place as it get hot and dry here, i well know this species does well in warmer weather so breeding them indoors and slowly getting the butterflies use to the weather through breeding could help them cope more with the nz environment. i hope more of them are furtile, and look forward to your reply norm..thats fantastic news..what are the odds of catching a female with eggs!!

clinton9
    Participant

Hi Norm,
    I would like 20 eggs of Lesser Wanderer butterfly, please, as I have both 3 caterpillar castles and a hothouse, so I can easily rear the caterpillars indoor in my hothouse.

Would be good idea to send 20 eggs to Zac.

Pepetuna
    Participant

Norm, that doesn’t sound greedy at all! I think it is really exciting that you’ve got them going, and hope you can rear them through. Mind, we will need updates, as Terry does with the Yellow Admirals in the UK 😉

milkweed
    Participant

Norm, are you in Auckland?

NormTwigge
    Participant

The Lesser Wanderer was caught on Monday 23rd January and settled down to ovipositing. We had a holiday organised starting 26 Jan. so I placed plenty of milkweeds and nectar plants in the butterfly house before leaving. During the holiday my thoughts were that the eggs had a good chance of being infertile so I did not get my hopes up. Returning home on the 1st Feb the first thing I did was race out to the butterfly house and look at the eggs – tiny caterpillars were evident and I was ecstatic. The butterfly has deposited approximately 70 eggs to date, and is still going strong.
    Now I know this sounds greedy, but my intent is to rear them all through to adults and obtain pairings, and another generation. If the eggs are fertile I will then be in a position to share them around to anyone who has a secure predator-proof facility. In Australia the Lesser Wanderer breeds throughout the year, indicating that photo-period (daylight hours) is not important, so with a temperature controlled butterfly house it may be possible to breed them through as I do the Yellow Admirals.

Zac
    Participant

hey norm, did the lesser wanderer lay anymore then then just the 5 eggs? and is she still alive?

zac

clinton9
    Participant

Zac,
    I had not seen Blue Moon butterflies yet.
    Clinton.

Zac
    Participant

hi clinton, thanks for your efforts i appreciate it. i hope too you succeed with eggs. i would be over the moon even if i got 1 or 2 larvae. im very experienced in raising butterflies and it would be a really great experience for me to raise these

Zac
    Participant

hi norm, great to hear you got some eggs. i hope they are furtile. i have been looking out for a lesser wanderer myself but dont know how lucky i would be being all the way down here in masterton. i have always dreamed of raising them, hopefully someone will provide me the chance to succeed that wish. i will lookout for sure. i have caught many blue moons in the past. i remember i was in whakatane staying with my aunty many years ago in 2007 and one day there i saw 5 blue moons, i caught a male, killed it for my collection, and it was a huge kick in the guts as the following hour i caught a female and i wished i didnt kill the male. as i was new to butterfly breeding at that stage i never thought to see if it was a egg laying female, and i didnt know much about the species, nor its foodplants. i sent you a email about my trip for the forest ringlets. let me know if the lesser wanderer eggs turn out to be furtile;)

clinton9
    Participant

Norm,
    Can you please send the eggs of your Lesser Wanderer butterfly, to Zac ( nzwing) as she will appreciate the eggs.
    Clinton.

Anna
    Participant

Thats great Norm…fingers crossed they are fertile.
    (Also Clinton, I now have re-read your topic headline and realise you had found a female…lesser wanderer.)

NormTwigge
    Participant

Clinton that is unbelievable – for this afternoon I also caught a female Lesser Wanderer in my back garden. I was having lunch at 12.30 and looking out the window along the street and 2 houses down from me I spotted a butterfly that looked suspiciously like a Lesser Wanderer even though it was only in view for about 20 seconds. I raced down there with net in hand but saw nothing. Then at my back garden at 3 pm the Lesser Wanderer appeared checking out my milkweeds, and as the net was lying on the BBQ table I scooped it up and netted the butterfly, which I transferred to the butterfly house amongst the Red Admirals. It flew around the enclosure looking for a way out for 30 minutes and then landed on the flowers of a potted Scabiosa and started nectaring. So I introduced some small potted bloodflower plants near it and by 4 p.m. it had laid 5 eggs. A search on the milkweeds in my garden found another 6 eggs, but these will need to be put under the microscope to make sure as they may be Monarch eggs. My only hope now is that the eggs are fertile.
    So keep a sharp eye out everyone as there are probably more about. Photo here:

Lesser Wanderer

Anna
    Participant

I wouldn’t kill it Clinton, as it may be a male, and not able to lay eggs…so if you kill it instead of letting it go again, there may be no more males to mate with any females that may be in the same area.
    Isn’t the idea to build up their numbers??

Viewing 17 replies - 176 through 192 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.