3 more butterflies released.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FiLeBeau 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

Another warm sunny day here in Gisborne, and I have just tagged and released 3 more butterflies. 2 Males and 1 Female. Still another 7 Chrysalis’s to go ,plus more caterpillars.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Gaynor – What a delightful scenario. I commend you on your great work for the Butterflies!
    A healthy girl eclosed today – on the winter solstace!! She is sheltering inside in a Castle on a red hot poker flower and some camelias. I will feed her nectar water later if she’s interested. I’ve had loads of boys born in this latter part of the season so she is very precious!
    Another pupa has gone dark today so Im praying for a good birth tomorrow.
    Then it’s 3 pupae to go….. And a ‘holiday’ due for me 🙂
    Warm wishes
    Fiona

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thank you Fiona….. I have just released another female butterfly.Bright and healthy. It made a few very short flights, and is now sitting on an arctotis plant sunning herself.!! Yes nature is wonderful, how the females can smell the swan plants in a netted area, eg shadehouse, castle or a net curtain covered tree, lay their eggs, and the minute caterpillars then crawl through onto the plant.
    Best wishes back to you.

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Im down to the last few as well. Quite late in the season eh! The shortest day is tomorrow!! Although I have gone into July and August in other years. I tried to limit it this year, as it got cold sooner than prior years, so I put all stands of plants in my shadehouses. Some clever little darlings laid eggs through the net though – theyre resourceful and determined!
    Best wishes – Fiona

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.