Yellow Aphids Ate my Catapillars :(

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous

Yellow Aphids Ate my Catapillars 🙁 how do i prevent this from happening again. i have noticed today that i have 5 new eggs on my plants. HELP done want to lose anymore

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I have plats out in the open, and also use a caterpillar castle and a greenhouse of sorts (butterfly house) similar to Katrina’s.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/items-for-sale/caterpillar-castles/

https://www.monarch.org.nz/2015/01/20/my-caterpillar-house/

(click on the photo to see it upright).

Anonymous

Thank you Jacqui for your help, i had a one Caterpillar which was a about a week or 2 old and a few very tiny ones that had just hatched 2days old. they have just gone. no signs of ants or anything other than the aphids which is why i was starting to think it was them but must have been a wasp.

i will see how my new eggs go if still no luck i will let you know. do you use any netting on yours?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I am sure you are gutted. Depending on their size they may have left the plant to shed their skins (they do that four times, and usually leave the plant to do so, takes about 24 hours) or if they were big enough to pupate then that’s another reason why they leave the plant, to hide from predators and parasites.

If you’re in Auckland, you’re welcome to a few caterpillars from here… or to see what I do. I’m in Blockhouse Bay.

Anonymous

so i had a few different stage catipilars which i check everynight when watering my plants. the next day there were non and plant was covered in little yellow bugs, using the tab on side i can see they are called aphids. i will check out those tabs now thank you. really gutted a you may understand

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello D Larnder – I’ve never heard of aphids eating caterpillars, but if you have ants or there are wasps about, they’re more likely to be the culprit. Take a look under SPECIES / PESTS and you’ll find out all about aphids and the best way to control them – also using the Hot Tags to the right there.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.