Wings Needed please

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FiLeBeau 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

FiLeBeau
    Participant

I am on the lookout for Monarch wings for a new life for injured friends.

My stock of fresh wings has dwindled – could anyone with spare wings from this season please help me out.

I have a bundle from last season but they are drying out and some are too brittle.
    Any ideas for storing or treating wings to remain more pliable?

I am grateful for several recent successful surgeries on Monarchs who tore their wings or were harmed by other insects.

Thanks Fiona

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hi Meghan
    Yes please I would appreciate receiving the wings you have.
    If you are outside of Wellington-Kapiti-Levin -could you post them at all?
    Otherwise and I can drive to get them.

If posted I think bubble wrap or cotton wool in a take-away container might
    keep them safe.

Thank you so much.
    Please feel free to text 027521 7071 or mail me at fcamberun@outlook.com
    Best wishes – Fiona

MissPickles
    Participant

Hi Fiona, I have afew wings but they are from last season! In good condition if you would still like them?
    Meghan

LeslieD

Hi Caryl the butterfly is from last season, and was very dried out, one tip bent over from my imperfect storage. I sprayed the whole wing/s and kind of massaged it in, it absorbed quickly. I did an extra spray of wing tip so it was wet and then laid the tip flat under a placemat. So the wingtip is now straight and the wings are less brittle than what they were. I’d still be reluctant to use them for what Fiona uses them for but I guess if push came to shove and it was the only option …
    Fiona showed me how she wets a bent or uninflated wing and pulls it down (early after e-closure and its clear it won’t happen naturally). I was thinking the luxeoil would be good for that or for renewing less ancient wings than what I have here for transplant.

Caryl

Leslie, Does it work just for a tip of a wing? Interesting and great to know. I will get some. Caryl

LeslieD

the brand I used is SP luxeoil but there are various brands that do much the same thing … varying prices too .. I also have Schwarzkopf Bonacure hair therapy Miracle Oil. you can get stuff from salons or supermarkets.

Caryl

What brand did you use Leslie of the oil?

LeslieD

thanks Fiona … yes I could see he was a feisty boy with a fair bit of attitude. Its so great you have been able to help him have a life. lovely he knows all about treats and where to get them lol. I think all animals are way smarter than most of us credit them and that includes insects :).
    I managed to straighten the tip of that dessicated wing with the oil and overall the wings are less brittle. Makes sense it should help as keratin is the closest thing to chitin their is according to my google research lol. Have a great day!

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Hey Lesie – I will follow up on SP luxeoil. It’s worth experimenting. I have some good wings – just a bit old – and some not so good ones that I’ll start with. Thank you.

BTW ‘Karori’ aka Boris was flying well in the yard today and landing on trees and taking off again. I saw him resting on my large shadehouse roof – then flying down the orchard. I went and collected him and fed him nectar water a few times and then he loved nectaring from a clover.
    He is a geat character. He was lucky you were his primary carer – and blessed that his new wing has given him a new lease on life. Bless him.
    Aroha – Fiona

LeslieD

I’ll definitely save any that come my way. I’ve grabbed the dessicated butterfly I had and sprayed some SP luxeoil on the wings … its a keratin booster for hair … marvelous stuff for detangling. anyway I think I have an improvement where the brittle wings seem more flexible … I’m trying to straighten a bent bit at the end of one wing. so something to consider. There are various similar products that do the same thing.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.