what plant food in what order?

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  YvonneWallis 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

YvonneWallis
    Participant

I have been told in the past that admirals can go from common nettle to tree nettle but not vice versa.Where does the bush nettle fit into this progression. Also magpie moths like groundsel (common and more sturdy bigger plant)ragwort and cinnerias..is there any order they can’t go from. Monarchs..had a small silky swan plant once and was told that they can go from this to the larger but not vice versa..with all the varities of milkweed what are the transfer, do’s and don’t??

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

YvonneWallis
    Participant

cool..good to know..thanks again

Anna
    Participant

Yvonne, I think everyone has different experiences with feeding them, as I recently found 9 Red Admiral caterpillars on Urtica ferox in Keneperu. They were a mix of sizes when I got them and I bought them home, and they straight away transferred onto Urtica dioica, and remained with that till they pupaed, and emerged as the largest Red Admirals I have had so far. (That may have been because of the area they came from perhaps)

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Great post..thanks Anna..aparrently ferox to the others doesn’t work..something about the toxin levels..great about rooting them in water..this will be great !! thanks for that

Anna
    Participant

So far with the Admirals, both Reds and Yellows, I have found that mine have happily switched between each type, and at all stages, but that may be the way I have been raising them in the container system?

It may be different if you have them on plants perhaps,
    although even in the butterfly enclosure, they have walked from Urtica dioica, and Urtica urens onto the Chatham Island if the plants are touching.

ps/ It may be interesting to note that I have managed to get roots growing on nettles within a few weeks, by putting the cuttings in jars of water. So far I have tried, Urtica dioica, urens, ferox and austrails (Chatham one)

YvonneWallis
    Participant

Thanks Norm, trouble is the admirals cover the outdoor nettles and I transfer to the tree nettle which keeps them going a lot longer.

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Whatever the breed of caterpillar I think it is wise to keep it on the hostplant it started feeding on. While some caterpillars will change to a different hostplant when the first one becomes stripped, others will refuse to eat another variety if changed to it, so it is best to keep to the original.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.