Wasp Traps

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 36 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Pete 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jaynie
    Participant

I recently bought a bee hive shaped Wasp Trap from one of those ‘in your letterbox’ magazine things and its fabulous. I fill with sugar water and hang about my swan plants, they seemed to have attracted those nasty things by the dozen. Last week we caught 5 and the week before was 7. Just thought if anyone else is having wasp issues you could give them a go!!

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Darren
    Participant

Hi Renee, as for bait, check out this thread

Mrs Monarch is back!!

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Darren

What do you fill it with exactly?

Darren
    Participant

ReneeFraser
    Participant

Yes we have one of those electric bats here somewhere… but I'm too scared to use it with wasps and bees. Even with white tailed spiders… I've tried to use it on them before when they are on the wall and they tend to drop and then I'm running backwards screaming and jumping up and down LOL!

I'll have to try the soft drink bottle…

Darren
    Participant

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Brilliant idea, Darren. Let's know what you think of that.

And also a friend in the US has made her own false wasps' nests too, I think one can get a good idea of how to make one from looking at that one in the pic on their website.

J.

Darren
    Participant

That waspinator looks interesting Jacqui. I never thought about trying to repel them. Same principle as the bottle of water on the lawn I suppose. But instead of paying $29 for a fake wasp nest I wonder if using a real wasp nest would be just as effective? I have one I sprayed yesterday as I didn't realise it was in my kids plastic playhouse. My nephew went in and got stung right between the eyes. I'll freeze it to be sure all the larvae are dead and then hang it over one of my plants.

Charlotte
    Participant

I have to say it. We definitely kill our wasps.
    We loathe them terribly and have an electronic bat that zaps them.
    These can be brought from Briscoes or Pak n Save for around $12 to $15.

From memory I think the wasps change in mid Feb to nectar.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui
    Keymaster

It's available here.

http://www.wetandforget.co.nz/waspinator.htm

We have discussed this previously. Concerns raised were that you're not actually reducing the wasp population, you're encouraging them to go elsewhere – this might be something to ponder on.

ReneeFraser
    Participant

We have LOTS of wasps here. But they don't seem that interested in the swan plant. I've only seen 1-2 on the swan plant. They have lots of nests in pretty much everything – the garage, house (inside walls), fencing etc…

What magazine did you get the trap from?
    I once tried a fly trap that was basically the same thing but it didn't seem to work. It wasn't filled with sugar water though… something very stinky LOL

I just wondered is it ok to kill wasps? Do they help the environment like bees and butterflies, or are they just pests? I'm trying to be more nature friendly these days. Even though I am terrified of bees and wasps and pretty much every bug/insect except ladybugs and praying mantis' – I especially HATE spiders and weta, earwigs, and anything that bites or stings… I'm a scaredy cat.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Jayne,

Those traps sound great!! : ) Does the mailer you've got have a website address? If it does that would be a good thing to post here. Most of us have lots of wasps around and all ideas on getting rid of them are good ones

Cheers – Jane

Viewing 11 replies - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.