WARNING re seed packet instructions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

I was looking through my various packets of seeds & found an empty packet of McGregors swan plant seeds, dated ‘good for 2017’. I glanced at the instructions & was horrified to see the in following general care for seedlings:- ‘& protect from white butterfly with derris dust’

Derris dust is a specific killer of caterpillars, so I can only imagine what it would do to our precious Monarch caterpillars

This is an old packet, so I can only hope that this year’s packets of Swan Plant seeds do NOT have these instructions! Please can someone check – it will be about a week before I get near a garden centre

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Monkey

Just checked on their website and it says:

Seedling Care: Keeps seedbed evenly moist during the germination period of 14-21 days. Apply McGregor’s FruitMax 2 weeks after germination for healthier plants and a maximum crop. Protect your flower garden from snails and slugs with McGregor’s Snail and Slug bait and from White Butterfly with McGregor’s Derris Dust.

It’s probably a generic warning (and of course they’d love to sell more Derris Dust). I will write to them suggesting they remove it. Meanwhile, don’t forget we sell seed off our website – and there’s a special offer coming your way soon too.

Thanks Monkey for drawing this to our attention!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.