Too many caterpillars/not enough swan plant

This topic contains 74 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello all – getting lots of phone calls at this time of the year from people who have either (a) too many Monarch caterpillars, so much so that they’ve run out of plant, or (b) they’re telling me that they’re aren’t any Monarchs in the vicinity and that they would LOVE to see some eating their swan plants…

This often happens in various communities – in one area there are many wasps kililng all the caterpillars, and somewhere else there are no predators/parasites so the Monarchs are thriving. It’s nature’s way of "controlling" the various species… when the food runs out only a few of the strongest will survive.

The problem is that we humans "like" some species (Monarchs for instance) and "don’t like" others – perhaps you dislike ants, or wasps or whatever. Nature, however, doesn’t see it like that, Nature runs the world in a "boom or bust" way, there are always peaks and troughs as one species (plant or animal) goes from thriving or struggling.

But that doesn’t help YOU with YOUR problem… What I suggest is that you add to this thread here, telling us what your situation is AND leaving some contact details so that anyone who has the opposite problem and lives reasonably close to you can get in touch.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Replies

GJMCM
    Participant

Hi, We have 80-100 caterpillars and the swan plants have been stripped. I have read that they like cucumber so will try that but if anybody in the Hamilton area need some caterpillars, let us know.

jillian
    Participant

I have lots of swan plant here in Browns Bay. Please contact me if you would like to come and collect some.
    jillian.sommers@milford.school.nz

Quilta
    Participant

Oh i have just seen the phone number is wrong on my post. its 0273794480. I bought some more plants in town today but still have way to many to cope. I will cover the plants to keep the butterflies at bay.
    Regards Annette

chandsahrawat
    Participant

Thanks Mrobertson
    I came around and put about 30 caterpillars
    On the plants by the pedestrian entrance to the school
    Hope they thrive
    Thank you so much

Quilta
    Participant

I live in Ngaruawahia and i have 100s of caterpillars and i had lots of food but they are eating through it now. If anyone around Hamilton would like some caterpillars they can contact me on 0273794489

(Phone number is wrong: Try 0273794480) Admin.
    Annettte

Kiwilass
    Participant

Hi Jacqui
    Just letting you know that I have picked up 50+ cats from Kings botany. As I was doing so there was a butterfly laying so will go back in a couple of weeks and see if they have more
    Kiwilass

Vicki
    Participant

Hi all, newcomer here! We have about nine more caterpillars than we can keep in Khandallah. Please let me know if you’d like some! (v.mckay@gmx.com)

mrobertson
    Participant

Hi,
    You could drop some off at Verran Primary School. We have plants scattered around the school that could accomodate a few more. Can they survive until Tuesday when I’ll be there? If not drop by and seek out the plants yourself. Some are behind the main classroom block.Cheers

chandsahrawat
    Participant

Hi we are on Onewa road in Northcote have about 60 caterpillars at different stages on 2 large plants anyone need a few to help our population keep the food we have… I’m tired of breaking up caterpillar fights atm

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Kiwilass – please talk to Kings Botany as they were over-run with caterpillars at one point.

Jacqui

JellyJam
    Participant

Hi,

I am in Grenada Village in Wellington. I have several swan plants and no caterpillars. I could house about 5 caterpillars if anyone needs to offload a few. Please email me on monsterducky@gmail.com.

Kiwilass
    Participant

I am in Bucklands Beach Auckland and have plenty of plants if anyone needs some food for cats or wants me to take some cats.
    Have had over 100 chrysalis hatch this season. Very exciting! Mandy@workwise.co.nz

LeslieD

Hiya Biggest swan plants I’ve ever seen live here and almost empty. I’m in karori, Wellington contact leslie.dolphin@paradise.net.nz if you need to rehome any caterpillars.
    cheers

Rachel Fulton
    Participant

hello, I am in New Plymouth and have 30+ caterpillars of all varying sizes and very little swan plant left – does anyone in my area have extra plants that I can use to feed or would like a few caterpillars to feed off their plants?
    e-mail: rachelandrhys@xtra.co.nz
    text: 022 088 1972
    I may have to risk purchasing from the garden centre, but am nervous about sprays!

esearls
    Participant

Hi Jennifer, I’m in St Kilda and my kids found a monarch caterpillar but we have no plants – do you have any left? If so would you contact me please? 0272067674 Thanks, Elizabeth

Richard Rowe
    Participant

Hi Carly

Yes if i see eggs I will kill by crushing them so that they are dead as they are alive from before being laid and would stave if just flicked off. To save more plant food for the other cats to grow with. Unfortunately it is a balance of time and numbers. While environmental education using the swan plants is what i put the most of my non work time into. I have have a number of dead council areas in Christchurch that I have self driven and self funded planting projects in. If you are interested these are all public on Facebook under RichardRowe3

Cheers Richard

Jane
    Participant

I have heaps of swan plant here in Tauranga

Caryl

Richard, Love the idea of a public space. Good on you? Rather than kill baby cats I am wondering if you cull eggs. I feel that’s a humane ways of dealing with the situation. Maybe you do that too? Caryl

Richard Rowe
    Participant

CHRISTCHURCH

Anyone wanting caterpillars is welcome to take them from the public swan plant garden that I have at the Bromley Community Center CNR Bromley and Maces rd.

The garden is at the back of the building by the playground.

Please do not bring caterpillars all the plants I have down there and all the ones I grow and add to the garden get striped in 2 week cycles. This is so extensive that I have to kill smaller caterpillars weekly so the larger ones will make it.

lukeoddy
    Participant

Hi, I am in the Yaldhurst/Hornby area and have over 20 caterpillars on one swan plant. Can anyone help?

Caryl

Kysta if you have not found food or someone to take your caterpillars I could. I have quite a big patch of swan plants that won’t be eaten this season. I am in Seatoun though, a fair distance from you. Txt me on 027 8426773 if I can be of any help. Caryl

kysta
    Participant

Hi there, I’ve got 25 caterpillars and running out of plant. In Upper Hutt, can anyone help?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Whereabouts are you, Adele?

Adele
    Participant

My darling children have just given me a swan plant with about 10 caterpillars on it, from very small to quite large. I can see that there is not enough food  for them all and wondered if anyone could had a swan plant and would like to inherit the caterpillars….

Bernie

I have never had much joy with pumpkins but tweedia works fine.I know that the moth plant is much maligned but I have reared loads of monarchs on it.The butterfly will not lay on it but I have taken them from egg to adult on it.Last year’s harsh winter did for it here in GB so this year,I have a couple in pots in a frost free propagator.
    It’s a good job I have as the snow finally arrived last night!

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.