Too many caterpillars, not enough food.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  alanjacqui 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

gailpomare
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We have about 20 caterpillars of various sizes and despite my best efforts, we’ve run out of food for them here in chch. Unfortunately I need to be out of town for 3 days and obviously I am not keen to come home to a mass of dead caterpillars, is there anything I can do to get them through to chrysalis stage? I’ve been hearing that pumpkin or cucumber works, is that the plant or the actual pumpkin/cucumber? and if so, do you put them on it or will they just seek it out, so you cut it up or leave it whole?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

alanjacqui
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, we are fine, lucky enough to have others in the Kapiti area with plants. Love th FB post today for the flowering plants, wish I lived in AKL!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

We do have some more swan plants – these are young plants and will be suitable for caterpillar food. Can courier them to you tomorrow IF you email treasurer@monarch.org.nz with a snapshot of internet bank payment into our account. $30 for 30+ plants, 20cm-30cm, plus P&P $10. ($40 all up).

Account is MBNZT, Kiwibank, 38-9009-0654693-00.

So, just to recap, what you need to do (if you’re interested) is make payment of $40, email proof of payment to treasurer@monarch.org.nz with your name and address, and the plants will be sent by overnight courier tomorrow (Monday) to get to you hopefully Tuesday.

Cheers

Jacqui

alanjacqui
    Participant

We have had the BEST summer with Monarchs this year. After no butterflies in the 2016-2017 summer I thought they were gone from our area. I had 5 x giant (bigger than me) swan plants untouched. Eventually I pulled out 2 and left 3 giant swan plants. This summer 2017-2018 these plants are stripped bare from feeding. What a joy to see all the chrysalis and butterflies again.
    Off to save seeds today, I refrigerate in paper towels as other members do, works for me.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I have been down in Dunedin and heading home now (waiting for a ferry crossing). When I get home I will see if I can source some more plants and if so I will post in the forum and also on Facebook

irene c
    Participant

Kia ora Jacqui,
    is this promotion still going?

dragonlady
    Participant

Hi Gail,
    Where in ChCh are you? I could bring some to my place and feed them here for you.
    Contact me on 0274364493 if that would be helpful.
    Cheers
    Karen

LeslieD

hiya

I had a similar situation some weeks back. I had a couple of caterpillar castles which helped and I took the very big cats off the plants (the ones just before they pupate) put them in the castles and gave them washed and cut up cucumber and pumpkin slices that I refreshed daily. They do prefer swan plant so given a choice they will head for that. its no good for smaller caterpillars, they either just die or if they pupate are unlikely to emerge successfully. I got about 70 good caterpillars doing that. I also got new plants in for the smaller ones, and some seedlings from Jacqui. Hopefully I’m set for the next onslaught 🙂 good luck.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Gail

We are running a promotion at present – 30 plants (200mm tall) for $30 delivered to your letterbox by overnight courier. We could send some tomorrow if you’re interested.

Payment needs to be made on line but if you are interested, and can send through a screenshot of your payment to treasurer@monarch.org.nz with your address, I could get some away to you tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day, I’m afraid as I’m going away.

Bank account: MBNZT, Kiwibank, 38-9009-0654693-00

No worries if you’re not interested, though.

Jacqui

gailpomare
    Participant

sorry, looks like I accidentally created to posts <—spot the newbie

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.