Red admiral inquiry

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rob cooper 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

rob cooper
    Participant

hi jacqui have been thinking real hard about doing some red admirals this season but where do you find the eggs yea see now you guys sell them i bought some nettle seeds a fw months ago havent planted them yet um info would be great thanx jacqui cheers rob

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

hi jaqui plants turned up today ive got six but think about 4 to 5 weeks to do pillers so will contact then they are nice plants

rob cooper
    Participant

got 2 nice netles coming by courier 2moorro will replant make sure they all good then talk hope thats all good i make sure if i do something i do it rite our monarchs have gone so fab this season will luv to do some admirals

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Rob

Actually, have you planted your seed yet? Not much point talking at this stage, Rob, but when you’ve got your nettles established let’s talk about the next stage.

Jacqui

rob cooper
    Participant

ph no jaqui yep yellows would be great but a talk to fab mines 0274425873 or 035485906 cheers rob

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I had so many two months ago (you don’t want to hear this) that I was phoning people and begging them to take them away. But those were yellow admirals.

I did also have red admirals which timed eclosure perfectly for the NZ Flower and Garden Show and although I brought them home and released them, none of them stuck around, sadly. I think we need a forest to get red admirals. However, give us a ring about yellow admirals.

JuliaTuineau
    Participant

Hello Jacqui,
    I have an English nettle patch which has been growing over 3 years, without a visit from an Admiral. Plenty of Monarchs visit our flowers, but I think west Mangere is an Admiral-free area. Unfortunately Ambury Farm has been spraying along its fencelines and around garden and scrub verges. Does anyone know where else in South Auckland I could find caterpillars?
    Happy New Year
    Julia

rob cooper
    Participant

thanx jacui will do have a fab xmas

Jacqui
    Keymaster

For a few years we trialled selling the eggs but that was proving to be too problemmatic. The first thing to do, Rob, is to get nettles established. By then we might have sorted out a regular source.

Good luck with the seeds!

Jacqui

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.