think I have admiral eggs, maybe cats too

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Rebecca
    Participant

I’m so excited I just had to share it! I salvaged some nettle seedlings, potted them at home – two have survived and are quite leafy. There’s been tiny little pearly eggs on them for a while but I only just found good photos of Admiral eggs and I’m pretty sure that’s what they are. Plus a couple of leaves on each plant are rolled up so I’m hoping they’re inhabited by caterpillars. The nettles we mistakenly mowed are coming back too.

I’ll bring one of the plants to Bromley on Sunday and hopefully get an expert opinion!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rebecca
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion I’ve put them in a good spot indoors and I have a feeling there’s more cats on the plants than I thought. I’m about to post a plea for more nettles this Sunday at Butterfly Day, wish me luck!

Errol

If it was me, I think I’d take the pots and their nettle plants inside if you can. You don’t want to lose the little tiddlers to wasps etc.

Good luck.

Rebecca
    Participant

I nearly forgot to say: I inspected the plants more closely, definitely at least 2 caterpillars. Worried about how to protect them now. The area with self-sown nettles is shaded by a bushy ornamental plum, on the south side of a north fence – i.e. minimal sun. Not sure if I should put the pots there and net them off?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Sounds like you’ve got admirals, Rebecca! AWESOME!!

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.