Tagged butterfly on back lawn.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GaynorTait 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

Yesterday afternoon, my husband and I were checking swan plants in garden for any new caterpillars. We discovered 8, so transferred them to plants in “castle” When walking back across lawn, my husband spotted a small , tagged butterfly on lawn. On picking it up, I found it was one I had tagged the previous day. We put it on a plastic chopping board under the potted Guava tree, with some impatients and carnation flowers, so it could get nectar. It seemed to favour left side slightly, but gave it a chance to rest and feed in safety. This morning it was dead. On reflection, maybe should have popped it in the freezer. It’s tag Number was RAE373. We also have a butterfly half out of crysalis, and is not moving any further.Don’t no if I should interfere with nature.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thank you Leslie and Jacqui for your replies. Really appreciated getting them. Also the butterfly that had started to emerge, I found was rather deformed. It’s wings were barely one centimeter ‘square ‘. Had to dispose of it ,as it was dead.

LeslieD

I had what I thought was a good butterfly die unexpectedly recently too. She did have one bung leg though so not perfect … but wings and energy levels seemed normal. I’m getting the usual batch of ‘stumpies’ hatching or dying before they emerge. Its the time of year I think. As Jacqui says the disease levels are up and also I think the short hours of daylight and colder days + the artificial environment a lot of us are trying to raise them in all play a part. I keep a spreadsheet of all my butterflys and anything that gets out of the chrysalid is documented. The success rate right now is a little higher than 50% and that’s down from over 95% earlier. Its right on track to be the same as last year. I expect a lot more chrysalids to not emerge at all. Helps me to keep things in perspective :). And I have two lovely boys outside conditioning for the cold at the moment 🙂

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Gaynor

It’s times like this that you need to reflect on the amount of time you do spend giving monarch butterflies a helpful hand in the world – and While you are sad for the few that don’t make it, it’s not necessarily anything you’re doing wrong.

A female monarch will lay 300, 500 or maybe 1100 eggs – and only two are required to continue the species. So if you’re producing more than that you’re helping monarch numbers. We need to remember that death is just a part of life. In dying ‘prematurely’ a butterfly has more than likely been the victim of a disease or pathogens etc which is only here on this world to (for example) control monarch numbers so they don’t become a pest. It is a human foible that we see beauty in monarchs and put wasps, Oe etc on a list of bad things. We need to see the beauty in the whole natural world… the bigger picture… hard as it is to do.

Keep up the good work, Gaynor!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.