Swan Plants Needed in Christchurch

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

delphis2
    Participant

A heartfelt plea for any spare swan plants. As fast as I buy them the caterpillars strip them and I do not have an established plant to tide me over. Bunnings have now run out as have Mitre 10 and Portstone stock is getting low. Does anyone have any spare for my 15 hungry caterpillars?
    And can anyone tell me do birds actually eat monarch caterpillars? I would have thought they knew instinctively the milkweed was poisonous – or maybe it isn’t to them? I have a few disappear overnight if I don’t take them indoors and don’t know if birds or cats are the culprits.
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

The only bird that is known to enjoy a monarch caterpillar is the shining cuckoo. Not sure if you have them there?

Yoda
    Participant

I have a few hundred swan plants. I am at 671 Worcester Street between Linwood Ave and Woodham Road cheers Chris. I am home most time, Here is my phone number just txt before coming to check I am here. 0211 637 945

LeslieD

Birds and cats are unlikely to eat monarch caterpillars but there are plenty of things that do. spiders, earwigs, shield bugs … to name a few.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.