Swan plant feed required – Dunedin

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  connie 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi,
    Is there anyone in Dunedin who has swan plants and can spare a few branches for my granddaughter.
    She was given a swan plant at kindy with 3 caterpillars and this will not sustain 3 caterpillars through to pupating as the plant is small.
    Thanks
    Charlotte

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

connie
    Participant

sorry for your loss charlotte and family. do you know why this happened?

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Connie,

They all died, poor granddaughter was so gutted.
    The two big fat caterpillars my daughter managed to save by washing them every time they vomitted green blood, went into a J and then never made it.
    The other caterpillars were attacked by something, she had the branches indoors in their conservatory and there may have been a spider on the branches.
    They’ve given up now as it got too disheartening.

connie
    Participant

hello charlotte, how are the caterpillars doing ?- hope they are thriving and your grand daughter is getting much pleasure from watching their development. i found 2 small ones on an outdoor plant which i later netted up after seeing a butterfly hovering over it -hopefully some more to appear –
    tho it was a few days before i got the plant netted so maybe the wasps got to the eggs first. great to see some naturally occuring offspring.

Charlotte
    Participant

At this stage my daughter is all good, thanks for the offer πŸ™‚

scootercat
    Participant

Charlotte – do you need any more swan plant? I am in Mosgiel and can spare some branches.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Connie,

I sent you a message through messenger as we have not received your email?
    My daughter managed to source a few branches and plants from else where at present. Thanks for your offer.

connie
    Participant

hello charlotte, i am back from the vet now and awaiting your visit. not sure if you got my e mail with my address and phone number?
    . there were several women with your name on Facebook
    cheers
    connie

Jacqui
    Keymaster

About 200mm and can get 20-30 in a courier bag… but sounds like you are sorted That’s great

Charlotte
    Participant

Connie, my daughter can call around tomorrow at 11am to collect the branches if that’s OK for you?
    If you have Facebook you can message me under Charlotte Beesley your address.
    Many Thanks
    Charlotte

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Connie,

I’m just waiting to hear from my daughter as she is the one who needs the branches. She is in Waldronville, so not far to come down. Once I hear from her I will let you know.Thanks πŸ™‚

connie
    Participant

hello charlotte, i could spare a couple of branches if that would help tide you over. where abouts in town are you? I am in south dunedin. i’ll check this site again in an hour.cheers connie

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

How much are they and how big are the plants please?
    As I may purchase them for my granddaughter πŸ™‚
    They have found a place selling them and going there today to buy some, so I’ll wait to see what she gets and then come back to you.
    Thanks. xx

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Charlotte – if nothing better comes up, I could send some swan plant seedlings down (courier post) on Monday, I have plenty – a bundle of 20 or so – held in a pot of water they would provide caterpillars some food for weeks, and then what’s left could be planted and hopefully (in the right location) they will survive the winter, be big plants to be planted out in the spring…

Please email me, jacqui@monarch.org.nz, if nothing better comes up and you want that.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.