Suggestions for winter nectar shrubs trees or plants

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FiLeBeau 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Any suggestions for winter nectar shrubs, trees or plants would be much appreciated.

Our winter over tree and flowering plants across the road have been bulldozed by the school and a carpark put in.

Im not a gardener so will be grateful for any ideas for us here in the Wellington region.

Thank you
    Fiona

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Thank you so much for this information on winter nectar. I appreciate each of your advice very much indeed.
    Thanks!
    Fiona

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Fiona I have just written an article for the magazine about salvias I should think they will give you all round nectar We will also be offering our tree daisies and tree sunflowers cuttings again shortly Another couple of plants are Mexican marigold and Mexican sunflower I am dictating this to my phone but can give you the botanical names tomorrow if you like

Escallonia, And old-fashioned hedge plant with pink flowers, is also great for nectar

LeslieD

forgot to say camellias might be a good choice … they grow well here and are flowering now. Apparently monarchs do nectar on them especially the singles.

LeslieD

I’ve seen monarchs nectaring on ordinary daisies growing on pasture and also on the noxious plant darwins barbary … I think they are not so picky in a shortage. I’ve got some daisys flowering and bought some marigolds and hoping for the best. I’d be keen to get some of the daisy cuttings you are after too :).

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.