So how’s everybody’s season been so far?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 10 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Swansong
    Participant

Hi all,

– Well my last one hatched on xmas day. So I have let about 16 go from M.Monarch’s escapade into my swanplants a coupla months back.

- Plants doing well enough. Heaps of flowers on them. Got about a dozen little ones coming up here and there. Continuing to feed potted swanplants and watching closely for yellowing leaves which seemingly can happen overnite.

- NO APHIDS! what? about 2 weeks now I suppose…oh except a miserable wee little isolated cluster I spotted and squished a couple of days ago. GREEEEAT! Noticed ladybirds have decided to get themselves into gear and theyve been on my swanplants, so maybe thats why. My curtains are full of them and they are dotted here and there all through the house : ).

- Come new year’s day I will ‘open the gates’ and let M.Monarch in to lay if she’s about. I have a couple of recent releasee’s hanging about flitting around cheekily as if they havnt a care in the world. Cant see if they are boys or what, but where the boys are, theres bound to be some ladies too : )….. I mean boys will be boys.

Cheers

Swansong

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Robert – has Angie got Admiral caterpillars to spare? She was looking before Christmas, but haven’t heard from her lately. Perhaps she’s away …

Jacqui

Anonymous

Hi again,

I have pointed the person to this thread as they asked me through trademe & I haven’t traded with them before, so have no contact details.

I agree with Jacqui, this forum is the best place for such requests in NZ.

I’m still keen if anyone has got Admiral cats to spare in the akl area.

Robert.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Robert

We can possibly help out and take some pillars from her. Will check with hubby first, or I will get me ears pinned back.;-)))
    Be in touch soon.

Cheers
    Charlotte.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Rob

Can I suggest that anyone wanting help, you direct them to this website as well as anything you may do, have had some marvellous contact done by a lady in West Auckland today. People are really wonderful, aren’t they?

If we direct them to the forum, then they know they can come back here at any time for solutions to any other problems.

I had one lady phone me: she had the swan plants, now where did she go to get eggs. 🙂

Thanks for all you do.

Jacqui

Anonymous

Hi all,

Well I’ve had lots of egg laying & wasp visits (wasp finally died today). Have some fatties in 4th instar being very hungry. I also got eggs on my Tweedia (we had this happen last year & figured it was some returning that we had fed on Tweedia – but now I’m not so sure as we have not fed ours on anything apart from Swan plant & some Moth Vine).

I also got an email from a lady in Waitakere today who has too many caterpillars, so if anyone can help out, either leave a reply on this forum or email me on robert.aw@ihug.co.nz & I’ll put you in touch.

Take care,

Robert.

Swansong
    Participant

“Hope you get some eggs soon.”
    Ah well…

While those monarchs hide away
    On this lovely rainy day
    The swannies grow a little more
    To boost the total Monarch score : )

swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

Hubby is the one who updates all the computer stuff. God I wouldn’t know where to start!!.
    We are running Nortons here, as hubby is a Norton’s man. Sometimes it is best to stay with the older version till they iron out all the wrinkles in the new one.

Hope you get some eggs soon.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Margie, good to see ya! Sounds like you are off with a hiss and a roar. Haha we all know all it takes is a very short time (once theres a M.Monarch around) and theres eggs galore. Hope you have a neat season!

Yeah flutterbys I know Im dragging the chain on my updating of browser but sometimes you feel like a beta tester if you adopt too early. Let all the gheekoze do that, and iron out the wrinkles I say. Cant remember what it was with FF this time but I didnt want to jump in early, but I guess I better get onto it soon. Same with AVG. Like I’ve chosen to stay with a earlier version becasue there was issues with that, as well as it well and truly fallen into the catagory of bloatware : [. The update now on dial-up is pathetically huuuuuuuge. Ah dont you just love it. Anwyayz they were gunna stop support but decided not to pull it afterall and Im still getting my usual notices. How long it lasts for is anyones guess.

Im not envying you with these bloom’n wasps. Thankfully as far as know I just dont have a prob with them. Im still trying to identify my “pair”. If they would only keep still a little while I might be able to see, but not a hope. Toooo full of beans and busy patrolling. They dont seem to be having knuckle-ups together, so who kknows. Still no eggs yet.

Cheers
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong,

I am running ffox 3.0.5. No I dont run plugins, however mine does lockup from time to time on pdf docs. I am running XP.
    No I dont get logged out of the sight.

IE (Internet Explorer) I will only use if I really really have to. I really dislike IE!!.

I have had a male patrolling the patch here, and I had 2 males hatch this morning. So I put them out at about 4pm this arvo and 1 flew off staright away, the other decided to hang around. But the older male decided he was gonna have a fight with him. We had to prize them apart. Blimen Male!!!.. SO then I got my newby to fly off, so the other male would leave him be..

We are so badly fighting wasps here. Its like open season for them. They have reported back to the nests that there’s a free Mcdonalds up the road!!(Thats what my hubby says) LMAO..So we have netted off several plants and are moving them onto thsoe plants.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Swansong
    Participant

I like News Years Day for no other reason than I just do…
    After a tense night in that the security light was set off about 11.30pm and the thrush and blackbird werent on their nests, I didnt sleep that well and wondered what I was going to wake up to. I was convinced, as the eggs were cold in mumma BBs nest that, that was that. I was UTTERLY delighted to hear my hubby had checked the nest and it was all good!!! Ive got 4 wee blackbirds hatched … 1 on the 31st and the other 3 on NYD. “Next door” down the grape vine in very close proximity is a thrush with 3 babies. Lovely! Now to cap it off it would have been nice to see some EGGS.

Well it was lovely, albeit a bit windy, here yesterday, and at least 2 butterflies flying around in avo BUT WHAT??? NO EGGS!!! . As such my net is left open for the taking. Overcast today and havnt seen anyone yet. Blowed if I know what gives. Oh well, in good time I guess…. never been in this predicament B4, with butterflies flying around but no action!

Fat lotta use its gunna be if Ive only got 2 boys hanging around. They were flitting and flying soooo dexterously yesterday I couldnt get within a bulls roar of being able to see if there was a lady in it 😐 .

Heres hoping.
    Swansong

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Jan

I find putting them on the kapok vine right from the beginning, they accept it just fine. Maybe you need to take any other options right away from them too. It has saved probably 100 caterpillars so far this year.

Good to hear about the mystery plant – I can’t wait to see the flower and find out what it is.

Jacqui

mijan
    Participant

Hi all Butterfly Lovers, We have had a very good season so far. I had some cats early and have released 35, a lovely big male on the last day of the year and another big male on the first day of 2009. I have 4 chrys. left from that first batch. I now have so many cats that I cant keep count of them. I have them from very fat ones that dont seem to want to go into chrys. down to hatchlings. I have a full time job changing them from eaten plant to a new one or three. Mitch has been putting the big ones on the kapok vine but they don`t like it much. Jacqui our mystery plant is growing beautifully but I am keeping Butterflies off it to see if it will flower. A great New Year to you all. Mijan

margie
    Participant

Sweeeeeeeeet just seen the first Mrs monarch laying eggs on my swan plants as I write this she is busy laying going from plant to plant. Have just rushed out to put 6 or so plants out of her reach, also have 4 growing in the butterfly house so should have plenty of spare stock for later. Great relief thought my season wasn’t going to start.
    Happy new year to you all. 🙂 🙂

Swansong
    Participant

“Sounds like you’re having fun with your butterflies, Swansong.”

hehe theyre certainly not afraid to “check you out” : ). We also saw one take after a bird so I guess its all on. Well Ive been generous and got all soft on it and left the net opened tonite since hubby and i were working in there and weeded and tidied up things, as well as partitioning off 1/2 so they cant get at it, which has the pots.

Hi Patz…thanks for your thoughts. That link is the same as further up in this thread. Should mention that sometimes it just times out and sometimes it just enters into an endless slapping loop. Then the only way out is to bring up task manager and kill the task : , which is what I had to do just now, and come back to the site… flipp’n adobe brasses me off sometimes with the way they make you handle pdfs. I couldnt imagine it’d be the ISP as pdfs are typically small files and this wouldnt be an issue. Last time I looked I was able to download pdfs OK.

Hi flutterbys, what version are you on? Im still on 2.0.0.7, not that that should make a difference. As I say I may have things screwed down too tight…. ah well… another process of elimination I guess. DO you run any FF plugin’s at all? Do you run “noscripts”? Are you on XP SP2 or 3? Anywayz these things typicaly have so many variables that it could be any number of things and I guess its just start with the most obvious.
    Oh while Im at it, do you get logged out of the site say every week or so and have to retype your password? I tried disabling the masterpassword and nah, no diff.

I guess a girl could (temporarily) try Internet Exploder (perish the thought)…

Cheers
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Swansong & Jacqui,

Hehe thanks. I guess yours will all start once you open the nets. ALl those Mrs M’s will be biting at the bit to lay!!.

I have had no trouble downloading the pdf, and I am on F/fox also.Probably not what you wanna hear Swansong.

Cheers
    Charlotte

Anonymous

Jacqui and Swansong, I found it – though not in the most obvious place – and it downloaded fine.
    I went through the RSS under Aphids and found the post it was in.
    https://www.monarch.org.nz/projects/pest-information/
    See if this works for you, Swansong. If it was timing out it might be that your ISP has a limit on file sizes you can download? Just a thought.

Best
    Trisha

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Sounds like you’re having fun with your butterflies, Swansong.

No problems downloading it here – I wonder if someone else would try.

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

5 big fat pillars Flutterbys? Im jealous : ) but I cant complain really. I have had my 16 that Ive released so far. However wont be long now and the “doors” will be opened….like tomorrow. 2 butterflies flitting merrily around today just WAITING to get in!!! Its like they are jealously guarding “THEIR” plants and thankyou very much! Looks like woe betide anyone else who gets ideas. Theyve been swooping down on my hubby and I this a.m. : ). Theyre so darned quick I cant get a bead on one to see if theres a lady amongst em…. but surely ….

Jacqui I cant get the pdf to load on that link. I click on “aphids” and down in the left of the task bar and it continually alternates between “waiting for monarch.org.nz” and “transferring data from monarch.org.nz” with progress bar on the bottom right almost completed but it doesnt complete, and flicks back and forth like its stuck in a loop. Im on FFox with the plugin “noScripts” which I disable when downloading a pdf. Still no go though.

After just posting in another thread a coupla minutes ago about some links, it seems I’m having a few probs with links from time to time, but I don’t know whether its because Ive got my browser “screwed down” too tight or what. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
    Swansong

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Good on your hubby!

There may well be something on TV3 news tonight… sent out a press release today and it’s on the xtra website, as well as NZPA, TV3, Radio Live – will post it separately.

Jacqui

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

Going great here. Have 16 chrysalis and 5 big fat pillars about to go into J’s soon.
    Also have lots of little pillars on all my plants outside.
    Mrs M visits daily and lays more eggs.
    Still having a few wasps about. They are not interested in the wasp attractant we purchased. So hubby is out there with his electronic zapper and gets them.

Cheers
    Charlotte.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Yes, you’ve got it, Swansong.

Never heard that about ‘stucco’ – an interesting observation.

I can’t remember about what ladybirds feed on, I THINK it is not just aphids… I have just uploaded a new page to the website, and the aphids handout (which I’ve been emailing out to people) is attached to that – can’t remember if it’s covered there or not. Will let you take a look.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/projects/pest-information/

Jacqui

Swansong
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, not sure what you mean exactly by mummifying aphids. I’ll take a rough guess though. Is that the process ladybirds somehow lay eggs inside the aphid or on it, then the babies feed on that aphid? If this is the case I will get my magnifying glass out and see what I can see, with the next batch I spot.

Ive heard in times past that ladybirds absolutely love stucco, for some reason, which is what our house is. This certainly seems to be true around here thats for sure. Though I dont know exactly when, there would only be brief times when they are not around. Mostly theyre here and its never been any different for years.

Do they only feed on aphids or are there other food sources as well?

Swansong.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Swansong

Here in Russell we had one season of Monarchs way back in September, and then nothing much until a few weeks ago. Quite a few caterpillars around now.

Don’t forget that if there are no aphids in your garden, the ladybirds are going to go elsewhere. Also when the ladybirds breed, they need aphids. They mummify the aphids and eventually lots of ladybirds will emerge. So the little ‘lobster lookalikes’ you find on your plants are ladybird nymphs.

Yes, you’re right about the ‘boys’ – I have males here too patrolling the milkweed patch waiting patiently for ladies to come by, fiercely defending their ‘patch’.

Jacqui

Viewing 23 replies - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.