Should I? Shouldn't I?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chrisalis 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous

Hi there my daughter and I have been tending to three plants with numerous hungry caterpillers who have made themselves quite at home in our front garden. Problem is there are a few caterpillers who have formed their chrysalis on the leave of the plant and being the hungry creatures they are the fellow caterpillars have eaten ,most of the leaves they are hanging onto. We have had a few casulaties where "j" shaped caterpillars and their leaves have misteriously disappeared during the night and unfortunately one chrysalis casulaty. So do I move and re-hang the formed chrysalises that are hanging onto what is left of their leaves or just let them be. Also we have had a few wasps and praymantis hanging around any suggestions to keep them away?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Chrisalis
    Participant

Keep an eye on other plants for caterpillars too.

I had a yellow striped armyworm caterpillar keeping us company for a couple of weeks. It was 52mm long by the time it decided to bury itself in a pot of earth on my coffee table. It’s little brothers are entertaining us, chomping on tomato, tobacco and grape leaves.

http://i54.tinypic.com/6iteo4.jpg

Chrisalis
    Participant

They do fine inside as long as it’s not too dry. Heaters, fires and air conditioning on clear frosty days will contribute to a high failure rate. Mist them.

I bring all I can find inside before the first frost and make a monarch hotel for them.

http://i51.tinypic.com/29qiqae.jpg

Chrisalis
    Participant

They can sit around doing nothing for quite a while between instars. Don’t mistake this for disease and don’t move them unless they are already moving on their own accord.

Anonymous

Thanks for that I’ve just been doing a bit of research on here and other various websites about o.e appears I may have some infected. (ohhh no) Would you advise taking them inside to see if they hatch well and are healthy and then decide how to procede? I am all new to this so am looking to do this properly.

Chrisalis
    Participant

Monarch caterpillars don’t care what happens to each other.

If there is enough leaf left I spike them onto a toothpick, otherwise I use a cool melt glue gun to attach them to the toothpick. These are then stuck into florist blocks that sit on my coffee table.

Kill the wasp’s nests if you can find them. Ask your neighbours to do the same

I kill every mantis I see. A large pair of BBQ tongs is my favourite weapon. Once your manti have finished laying, go around the eaves, fences and any other likely places and destroy the eggs.

Chris

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.