Seed collection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi all

If you have swan plant seed to share – or of other plants useful for butterflies, whether it’s host plants or nectar – we always welcome your seed, some of which we sell and some which is given away. Here’s a great page on the Monarch Watch website which has some good tips to collection and labelling etc.

http://monarchwatch.org/bring-back-the-monarchs/milkweed/seed-collecting-processing

I love the milkweed cleaning device!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Frances, I would cut them off and put them somewhere warm and dry and see what pops out. If the pods split open and the seed looks plump and full, it should be fine. If you are just using it in your own garden, scatter ALL of it even if it doesn’t look ripe. You never know.

Cheers

Jacqui

Frances
    Participant

I have an old swan plant covered in seed pods. Unfortunately it is not in a good place and I need to remove it. I had been waiting for the pods to split but they are taking a long time and some are going grey (?fungal).
    If I remove the branches and hang them up somewhere dry will the seed pods continue to mature? Do you have any other suggestions on how I can still harvest the seed but remove the plant now?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

MBNZT
    C/- Jacqui Knight
    3 Morpeth Place
    Blockhouse Bay
    AUckland 0600

I think you know the drill – no plastic, well wrapped in paper, labelled with your name, what they are, botanical name if possible.

Thanks Rachel, much appreciated.

Butternut
    Participant

Hi Jacqui – I have seeds I would love to send you – what address do we use?
    regards Rachel

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.