School Butterfly Garden

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  tramp 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

bethlehemschool
    Participant

Hi Everyone !
    I am very new to butterfly gardening and am currently doing the online course run by the Monarch Butterfly Trust. I am currently working on an Enviro Schools project at my children’s school. We are in the process of relocating our existing butterfly house and gardens to a dedicated Enviro Schools area. I was wondering if you had any tips/ ideas/ suggestions for establishing a school butterfly garden ? We live in Tauranga.
    Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

tramp
    Participant

Hi Bethlehem School Butterflies
    this is Mary Parkinson you are welcome to phone me evenings 576 4752 if it is fine I will be at the quarry tomorrow morning,
    You are welcome to see what we are doing etc etc what plants that suit our area and ask any questions and decide what you want to do
    Happy to help . Tramp

Caryl

That’s great. A tip from me. Transplanted seedlings usually droop, often quite badly. I put all my seedlings in a dark place for several days where they are more able to recover. It makes a huge difference.

bethlehemschool
    Participant

Thank you Caryl. I am actually in the process of madly potting up swan plant seedlings at the moment.

bethlehemschool
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Jacqui! At this stage our focus will be on attracting the Monarch butterflies. I am keen to hear from butterfly gardeners in our area that have had success with other butterflies. I would definitely be interested in planting other host plants to attract some other butterfly species.
    I have visited the Butterfly Garden at Te Puna Quarry and intend to make contact with Mary Parkinson.
    I am also after some advice regarding swan plants. As we are in the process of relocating our butterfly garden we would like to try and transplant some of our larger, well established swan plants. What is the best way to do this ? We will have to start moving them in the next couple of months.

You would be most welcome to visit our garden anytime!

bethlehemschool
    Participant

Thanks for the offer of Giant Swan Plant seeds Liz, but at the moment I have plenty.

Caryl

One suggestion I have is that you grow some swan plants in pots so they can be moved, say inside when there are gales (I have seen caterpillars and butterflies and chrysalises blown off) and also in case of predators. Good luck. Do let us know how your plan goes. Thank you for inspiring young children to care for at risk butterflies.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Bethlehem School

One suggestion I would make is to let the school kids do the course and ask the questions. If they have specific questions, they can ask them here and will get advice from many people about how they have solved that issue, if you know what I mean.

What butterflies do you want to attract?

You will get lots of ideas from Te Puna Quarry/Mary Parkinson. Also, I will be coming down your way in the future and would be happy to call in.

Jacqui

TgaLiz
    Participant

Do you need any seeds for Giant Swan Plants? I can easily drop some in if you want.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.