Red Admirals, Yellow Admirals, Porirua

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Blake in Porirua 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Essiew01
    Participant

Does anyone see Red Admirals or Yellow Admirals in and around Porirua – if so where?

Does anyone make an effort to provide nettles or nectar plants for these butterflies in and around Porirua?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Hello again,

Essiew Im also in Porirua and Im eager to rear admirals. I have seen 2 in the 19 months Ive been here. I dont have flowers but thats in the pipelone. I am on the hill above papakowhai. where are you?
    I dont as such have an optimum garden for any nettle (due to lack of space and shade& sun position, rather than the sting that im capable of coping with)
    I was thinking maybe I could discreetly put some nettle in unuseable off track areas along the Papakowhai/ ascot park reserve track (Aotea countdown to Doncaster Heights/ lauderdale/ idaho/ conclusion/ coventry/ Linley street exits). I guess it would be easiest to scatter seeds, but I will have to source some of the “not banned” ones.
    I wonder if there is any laws about putting plants on a walking track???!?? or who in the Council I might require permission to do this? its not a native bush track and it has gorse, wandering dew, and every weed inbetween.

I tried to plant a couple buckets of plain (? not stinging??) nettle id dug up a clump of, then i realised its not the right one and the plants died in the full sun or full shade in my garden anyhow.

I wondered if there was a way we could work together? Or how I could help you. Im pleased to find someone else in Porirua is on the forum about admirals.

I am most interested in endemic butterflies and Id be wrapped if there was admiral tagging in the future so Department of Conservation can properly identify any endangered and declining populations of endemic significance. Im puzzled that because there has been purposeful eradication of stinging Nettle that there hasnt been significant public information of the consequence. Id say only very keen butterfly lovers would want to plant nettles. Anyone will be happy to plant swan plants though, but DoC arent interested in research of Monarchs.

Looking forward to touching base with locals, and anyone able to share seeds 🙂

sandaz
    Participant

I live in Churton Park and saw a couple of red admirals today while planting down our bank. Notes a couple of other types too (other than monarch) but not sure what they we were.
    I’m in the process of planting swan plants and other butterly loved plants on our bank to attract more bees and butterflies. Have about 20 big plants down the bank and currently growing the giant variety (including tropical milkweed) from seed to provide some more food.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

The very first thing to do is to plant stinging nettle, and to get that established.

Let’s know when you have done that… and we’ll go to step 2.

I am not sure that there’s anyone in the Wellington region deliberately planting (or building a protected area etc) for any species, but may be wrong.

Planting the host plant and a range of nectar plants is a very good beginning.

Cheers

Jacqui

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Hi,
    Old thread I realise, but worth a try.
    I’m looking to find a local that could help guide me with setting up for admirals. Perhaps I could visit your set up?
    Thanks kindly

Anna
    Participant

Thanks for that Norm. I had noticed a lot of seeds germinating, and was wondering how they would cope through winter.

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Urtica urens is listed as frost hardy, which I have noted also. But it does not do well in complete shade and needs part sun. If grown in pots they do better in deep pots as the plant has a deep tap root, and ensure the soil is kept moist.

Anna
    Participant

Is Urtica urens frost tender at all?

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Essie01 – with Urtica ferox growing in the area there will be red admiral butterflies for sure. Nettles growing on your property will eventually be found by them, and nectar flowers like hebe,buddleia and marigolds growing will also encourage them.
    Be aware that the Greater Wellington Regional Authority has a ban on growing or propagating Urtica dioica, but Urtica urens can be found on farms, and Urtica ferox and Urtica incisa plants (both native) can be purchased from Oratia Native Plant Nursery. If you get plants established now they will be of a suitable size to sustain a population of admirals next spring/summer, as like monarchs it is easy to have the plants stripped by the caterpillars if the plants are small or few in number. Seeds of Urtica urens (or any variety of nettle)sown now will start a nettle patch that will be well established for next season.

Anna
    Participant

Essie01…what you need is for someone to give you nettle plants or seeds. I have raised both Red and Yellow Admirals on Urtica dioica (perennial nettle) and Urtica urens (annual nettle)

Darren
    Participant

Gloves are good, long sleeves also. But watch out for that exposed bit of tender skin on your inside wrist…
    (ouch ouch ouch)

Essiew01
    Participant

I’ve been told that there is some urtica ferox growing in some bush in the surrounds of Porirua. Does that mean that there will be Red Admirals somewhere nearby? If not, what do we need to do?

Anna
    Participant

What it needs Essie01 is for lots of people throughout the country to plant a few nettle and nectar plants, and before we know it there should be heaps of Admirals. I haven’t been doing it for long but have raised and released a lot already.
    Anyone reluctant to have a few nettles need only purchase a pair of gloves to put on when handling the nettle, and the rest is pure joy!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.