RED ADMIRAL CATERPILLARS

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

TREVOR
    Participant

I NEED A COUPLE of RED ADMIRAL caterpillars for my urtica plant please,…..TREVOR.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Participant

Urtica ferox seeds are available here if anyone is looking for them. https://nzseeds.co.nz/products/urtica-ferox

clinton9
    Participant

I want Red Admiral caterpillars too, but they are not available until December.

RlReriti
    Participant

will do

TREVOR
    Participant

O.K.thanks jacqui,….just begining will watch & see what happens….sureb i saw a red butterfly once……dont u thinki should get some caterpillars to speed things up, going thru pt chev tmw…..my coz is only a km down the road & she never got anything for 3 years, trevor.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

It is difficult (but not impossible) to tell the red larvae from the yellow (so I’m told). However, up here in the north there are very few red admirals so it’s more than likely any you have will be yellow.

Reds usually lay on U. ferox but the larvae will eat other nettles. There is hardly any U. ferox (Ongaonga) here in the north. So long as you have nettles, you are bound to have yellows… but hopefully we can get reds established this year in Auckland.

Watch this space!

Jacqui

TREVOR
    Participant

YES,hopefully….but if u ever come up this way bring some caterpillars with u,…..yelow admirals are good & it gives a some of the south island gene pool…..im going to hav more plants, hav sown seed.

RlReriti
    Participant

Hopefully someone up that way will have some 🙂

TREVOR
    Participant

thanks for ur concern ri, …ive just planted it ,but my cousin had it for 3 years outside & she never got anything,…..someone else might hav a solution…..???????

RlReriti
    Participant

Trevor, have you tried putting the plant outside and letting them come to you? ive got admiral caterpillars but im in Christchurch and i don’t know which, so far iv only had yellow Admiral butterflies eclose, i did have a Red Admiral visiting last summer but new to Admirals so i dont know how to tell the difference.

TREVOR
    Participant

ALBANY, 1201 EAST COAST ROAD…..redvale.

RlReriti
    Participant

Hi Trevor, what area are you in?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.