Red Admiral Butterfly.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

For the last week I have had a Red Admiral Butterfly flying around our garden.Do they get nectar from the flowers or do they need Nettles which I don’t have ?
    Have lots of Monarch caterpillars, so will have to buy in some more Swan plants as it won’t take them long to munch what trees we have. Have a lot of wee seedlings up, but it will be a while for them to get big enough !!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I have nettles here, will send you an email.

Jacqui

GaynorTait
    Participant

Thanks for that Jacqui. We have lots of flowers , of lovely bright colours for them all. Bees are busy too.
    Where would I get a nettle plant from ?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Gaynor

They lay eggs on stinging nettle, but they will nectar from your flowering plants. Yellow admirals have been enjoying my Buddleja salviifolia (winter flowering buddleia) over recent weeks. I suspect it’s a male… I’ve just had three yellow admirals come out today (in a caterpillar castle outdoors) and it was also hanging around their cage. So tomorrow I will release them all and hope that they do what comes naturally and stick around and lay more eggs on my nettles. Woohoo!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.