Press Release, tagging, and high res photo

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Why are they (monarchs) an environmental indicator species?

The Encyclopedia of Life has a very detailed definition for an indicator species, well worth reading.

http://eol.org/info/465

Monarchs are particularly valuable because of their size, their flight behaviour, and their bright colour. If you look out your window and there’s a monarch in your garden and an admiral (or a bee, for example) the monarch is very easy to notice. Added benefits with them is they are easy to raise and they’re relatively common in urban neighbourhoods up and down the country.

What are we(?) hoping to learn (by tagging them)? Have we learned anything yet?

To learn where monarch butterflies overwinter – and whether these areas are changing with climate change. We have 12 years of data to give us a baseline so now scientists can compare what we have today with what was happening 12 years ago. The more data (and the more years we tag) it will be easier to see a picture of what’s going on.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Finally I got a reply from a reporter! He writes for KapiMana (porirua wellington) and Ive also seen articles in Dom Post

So Jaquie Im wondering if you (or if the Trust has a nominated person) might have a short paragraph already prepared for these types of more intricate questions that he has for me? I could attempt to fluff my way through the exact wording of wintering processes, earths climate change and the point of tagging in Nz from what Ive read here in forums and website, but im sure the Trust probably has a mission statement or something similar that would be more concise?

Most questions he has are more of a personal nature ie what made us start tagging, how many, how to do it

The questions Id rather not give wrong/ too long answers to are:
    Why are they (monarchs) an environmental indicator species?
    What are we(?) hoping to learn (by tagging them)? Have we learned anything yet?

Seems like finally some publicity could spur people to get out from behind screens and start treasure hunting!!!!

thanks in advance for your assistance

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

brilliant thanks that should be easy enough to paste into a fb group page

Caryl

Hello Blake, I am Caryl and live in Seatoun, Welllington.
    Use this link to report any sightings.(Choose the species).

Report Butterfly Sighting

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Blake

Phone the newspaper, ask to speak to the editor but you might end up talking with a reporter. Ask them have you heard about the national tagging programme and that your son and you are tagging monarchs butterflies and that you can send them some information about the project. Get their contact details – email is probably most convenient.

Send off the email with the press release attached – in your email ask them to contact you if interested. Give them a couple of days and follow it up (make sure you’ve got the name of the person you spoke to).

People who see red admirals, painted ladies, cinnabar moths go to http://www.mb.org.nz and fill out the form and it goes into the database.

You can see reports of this year’s tagged monarchs here:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-admin/admin.php?page=tag-recoveries

If you go to our homepage and type into the search bar (right-hand side) “Porirua” you will see anything reported on our page that has the key word Porirua in it. The first hits that come up are paid advertising, so scroll about halfway down.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/search/?cx=017304903674758325987%3A38chvvpi4bu&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Porirua&sa=Search&siteurl=www.monarch.org.nz%2F&ref=www.monarch.org.nz%2Fwp-admin%2Fprofile.php&ss=973j164571j8

Cheers

Jacqui

Blake in Porirua
    Participant

Hi Jacqui

I received an email update that showed your reply to my other post on how to report a tagged butterfly without seeing a tags number, but i cant seem to find my own post to reply to you. Technology is completely beyond me….

I have tried approaching school but yes it takes a ton of pressure to be taken seriously. So i am thinking I will approach the KapiMana paper in porirua to share our achievements, especially as my sons favourite part of school is news and we read newspapers instead of the boring school books. Can i ask advice on how one goes about approaching a newspaper though?

and again, if there is a link to read if someone sights a non specific tagged butttrfly?

Thanks kindly

Bron and Camryn

Excellent!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.