Praying Mantis

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  haluca1 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Weimom
    Participant

Gosh! Has anyone else noticed how many of them are around right now, the females with big swollen bellies, ready to lay their eggs. Everytime I go into the garden at the mo I see several. My last few cats are safe inside, but I do a grrr when I see them! Can’t bring myself to kill them, but I will def do a patrol of the fences & bricks on my house & remove any cases I see. Are they easy to remove? I haven’t done it before. But would like to lower the Mantis population in my garden. They don’t seem to have a lot of predators. I am in a new subdivision, not a lot of bird life yet. Spiders & mantids seem to have the upper hand right now!

Wendy

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

haluca1
    Participant

Well I hadnt seen any until today, however today I spotted one in my conservatory, not 20cm from a chyrsalis! I have a few new ones on the other side of the room but I had all but given up on this one, its all on its own and has been there for over 3 weeks, and been getting dark for a week so I assumed it had died. On my way out this morning I checked it anyway, to find it was emerging – wonderful – until I saw the evil green critter just waiting to pounce, grrr.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Warning: Scary photographs – if you have a sensitive nature, do not look!

https://www.monarch.org.nz/2008/04/01/bobs-monarchs-blenheim/

Gilly
    Participant

I agree with you Mimi… fascinating insects and I don’t like killing anything… but I don’t mind helping the birds with their food source 🙂

Boopino
    Participant

There have been absolutely LOADS of mantis this summer and I hate killing anything but have taken pond rocks to these guys and squidged them and let the ants come and feast on them as they hang around my mosquito net trying to figure out how to get in and nab the treats inside!
    As regards the cases, I walk around with a pointy garden stick and stab them like a bad vampire movie all the green goo oozes out!! I tried to squash as many as possible when they were babies but there creatures are just so good at camouflage…

Anonymous

I would make a difference in approach for the Native NZ praying manthis and the exotic African Praying Manthis.

The last one is very much on the increase in numbers. To the detriment of the Native one as well.

The native praying manthis does not survive the winter. The African one does.

They are fascinating creaturers.

Even though we have a big established garden here, we don’t realy see any praying manthids at all. So we are lucky realy.We do have stick insects and many tree weta, but no manthids

I must admit to something though….

We do have a pet praying manthis called Goldie.

She was given to us as a 1cm small critter about a year ago. We keep her in an enormous glas tank with vegetation and feed her flies. We do not want to release her because she is an African Praying Manthis, but we’ve learned heaps about these insects, just like we have from this butterfly project.

Every living being has a place in the food chain……

Kind Regards Esther

yvonne
    Participant

I was surprised to find they would eat the chrysalis too. But I found one eating a newly released butterfly and was too late to save it.

Gilly
    Participant

I’ve never come across a mantis eating a chrysalis…yet…. the mantis are a great food source for the birds though… I don’t kill them but put them where I feed my birds.

margie
    Participant

Hi Weimom,
    I would go round with a hammer if I was you. We don’t get them down here but I have seen them in Ashburton and the shells are quite crusty. I would have no hesitation in killing the mantis as well after looking at those gruesome photos what a cannibal quite upsetting to see that as the chrysalis is so helpless.
    Cheers Margie

zoe9
    Participant

Oh my goodness – they’ll even eat a chrysalis? That I did not know and it’s very worrying really because I always thought once they changed they were safe from praying mantis.

I’m thinking (hoping!) it can’t be too common though as I know where most of mine are and can’t recall having any mysteriously disappear or suddenly appear half eaten.

Has anyone else lost chrysalis to these things? I’d be interested to know.

Jacqui
    Keymaster
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.