Poisonous?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 3 years, 2 months ago.

  • Creator
    Topic
  • #13003

    Rachel
    Member

    Are swan plants poisonous? Apparently the Ministry of Education has banned them and my nephew’s kindy have taken their plants out. Seems a shame to me.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #48238

    Jacqui
    Keymaster

    Hi Butterfly Musketeers

    Yes, the plant is poisonous but there are hundreds if not thousands of plants in our lives which are poisonous. In my personal opinion we need to teach our children to be careful and sensible around these things.

    It is the whole plant, any milkweed is poisonous. However, it tastes absolutely disgusting and unappealing – I know, I have had some latex on my fingers and put my fingers in my mouth, and if anyone wanted to kill themselves they would have to sit down and eat lots of the plant.

    Errol is quite right, however, that the latex if you get it in your eye can cause temporary blindness and it’s a horrible thing. Immediate action is required if it does happen – wash the eye out and get expert advice.

    There is more information about the plant here, especially in relation to children.

    Milkweed is Poisonous

    #48231

    Errol
    Moderator

    Yes, sorry to say the whole plant is poisonous. It’s the sticky white fluid that comes out which is the problem, getting it in your eyes can be very dangerous. Always wash your hands after working with this plant, especially if you have contact with the white sap.

    Good luck.

    #48229

    butterflymusketeers
    Participant

    Hi there, is it the whole of the plant that is poisonous ie the green leaves or just the seed pod at the top. Thanks

    #29331

    Pepetuna
    Keymaster

    I did a search on NZ regulations and I think I have found the relevant legislation:
    Education (Early Childhood Centres) Regulations 1998
    Regulation 24 (q)
    24 The licensee of a licensed centre must ensure that –
    (q) There are systems in place that prevent children from gaining access to any plant matter that is or is capable of being poisonous to children.

    So it would appear, as Angie says, that the kindergarten/preschool can grow swan plants, as long as they have “systems in place”. These systems might be barriers such as fences, but perhaps could be supervision?

    #29327

    Pepetuna
    Keymaster

    The issue of kindergartens/preschools growing swanplants has come up on another forum, and a member suggested that the kindergarten/preschool can fail its audit if milkweed is grown. Does anyone know a bit more about this? Which is the Government agency making the rule? And how can preschools/kindergartens safely manage the poisonous plant so that they pass the audit, but the kids can still experience the magic of the metamorphosis?

    #16804

    From what I understand its not an MOE decision to ban milk weed, schools have been advised to “manage” it while its on the grouds from MOE. So maybe a neting enclussre would be a good idea to schools and daycare as a precaution. Saying this the school board have the right to restrict any thing they wish, so would say that make contact with the school and see if anything can be done to make the plants “safer”. Angie

    #16797

    Jacqui
    Keymaster

    Hi Rachel

    We hear this quite often. If you can ask the person who told you this for the directive from the MinEdu, they never can show you anything concrete – it’s an “urban rumour”.

    However, the plant is poisonous – but you’d have to be a brave specimen to eat enough (10% of your bodyweight) to get sick, it tastes disgusting. There are two very good
    papers published by Landcare Research

    http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/publications/infosheets/poisonplants/index.asp

    and more on http://www.poisonz.co.nz (can’t give you the link, you have to search the website. Basically what Landcare say is that they have to balance up the lessons children learn from the Monarch Butterfly against the potential of someone getting hurt. And I say, let’s fence the oceans and rivers too! (I’m being facetious — this “safety” thing has gone way beyond the absudrd.)

    I will be interested to hear what they do say if you ask the questions at your kindy.

    Cheers

    Jacqui

    #16795

    Swansong
    Participant

    I’m not sure but I think they are a bit. They have that white latex(?) stuff which is typically a poison. I’d imagine it wouldn’t be good for youngsters to putting it in their mouth, like littlies are apt to do. Sorta like they do with dirt and stuff. I know their is another small plant which is a common garden pest (a darned nuisance actually) which is called a milkweed, with the same white latex, which will burn the skin and has been known to burn warts off. Before I joined this forum I had little knowledge of the Monarch, and the general idea was that nothing touched monarchs because they were poisonous to eat. Of course I know different now, but I’d imagine they’d still make birds or whatever that tries them out, pretty crook.

    Just my 2 cents
    Swansong

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.