Passion vine hoppers – ugh

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Errol 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Passion vine hoppers are those little insects about the size of your small fingernail, which look like jet aircraft (triangular shape) which take off with a click and a jump when you touch them – or fly around like butterflies. Anyway, they and aphids and other pests are decimating my Tropical Milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) and Swan plant in my garden.

I looked on google and found a product called Aquaticus – has anyone used it? Evidently it’s made from fish and seaweed and insects HATE it – so it should give my plants a bit of an advantage. Wasps are killing any Monarchs on plants outdoors at present, and I want these plants to flower so I get the seed.

So I’m off to buy some Aquaticus!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Errol

Great idea, must give one a feeling of satisfaction as well too. Surely it would work with other nuisance bugs and predators too.

poplarpark
    Participant

Re passion vine hoppers. This may sound slightly crazy, but I put the fine chisel shaped attachment on my hand held dust buster and carefully vacuum them off the stems and leaves of the swan plants. Now that there are tiny caterpillars on the plant you have to be careful, but it is amazing how many of the critters you can suck up in 10 mins. Bonus is – that my two tiny caged quail love them.. So I empty them out in their cage.

Jane
    Participant

I have plagues of passion vine hoppers all through the garden. Every year they are prolific and I tell myself I will do something about it late autumn/winter, but never get round to it. They don’t really do heaps of damage, more of a nuisance. Like Gilly I think they are good fodder for the silvereyes and other local birds.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Numbers of passionvine hoppers are building up in my garden – nothing too serious yet.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMG_1700.jpg

They do love Buddleias.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Have just posted the fact sheet about Passionvine Hoppers to the website, look under “Pest Information” under “Projects”, and it’s there.

The website is currently being upgraded, which is why there are so many links on the front page. Sorry about that.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Yes, you’re right, Gill. My buddleia are covered too. There are some great photographs by Vin Hill in the PHotographs section. Really detailed, they’re beautiful little creatures!

Gilly
    Participant

The fluffybums are the juvenile hoppers, aren’t they? My buddleia are covered in them also and I can’t wait until they turn into the hoppers cos I have a hungry pukeko baby who LOVES them 🙂

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Have just resurrected this thread, as my plants are once more coered in ‘fluffy bums’. I have posted the photographs that were in our newsletter last year to the website, but so far they’re not showing (go to Photographs on the sidebar and they should show up there shortly).

Gilly
    Participant

theresag… I don’t think Thrush and Blackbirds will go for your caterpillars… I have a tame Thrush and she has never gone for my caterpillars or monarchs. The praying mantis will completely devour a smaller caterpillar.

Jacqui, my buddleias always get passionvine hoppers badly each summer but they don’t seem to hurt the bigger buddleia’s… I hose them off each night .. when the silvereyes come back into my garden in a wee while, they love the hoppers – so do the sparrows and blackies and thrush… I let the birds deal to them.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Passionvine hoppers again… Grrr. They are so thick on my Buddleia and the bush(es) above, I notice from reports that they spread disease – in fact this was how the cabbage trees died off in the 80’s!

They are going to kill off my Buddleia unless I do something and so I am going to try something new this year. Pyrethrum spray, late at night, after all the bees and butterflies have gone to bed. It can stay on the plant overnight, and then in the morning I will wash it off.

Putting together another Fact Sheet on Passionvine Hoppers… should be available after the weekend.

Jacqui

theresag
    Participant

I had 15 caterpillars a week ago at various stages of growth. By the weekend there were only 5. Today only 2. None have got to the stage of making a Chrysalis.If it was wasp killing them surely there would be some remains?If it is Praying Mantis I have looked but not found any.Could it be Thrush ?I have always thought that the caterpillars would taste bitter and not appeal to them?

Jacqui
    Keymaster

My aphid update — I now have lots of ladybirds mating and doing their thing in my garden, so pleased that I squished quite a few and can now leave the rest to be dealt with by my lovely ladybirds.

🙂

rblackley
    Participant

We have four Swan Plants with younger ones coming on. Like everyone else our plants have their resident vine hoppers and aphids. We havent sprayed but do a round of the plants every day mainly to squash the aphids and any praying mantis we find. We found early on that wasps were our main threat and once we had dealt to those the caterpillars were on a winning streak. So far this season we have had 15 butterflys fly off with quite a few more not far off hatching.

hshingles
    Participant

valp, the use of oils in summer needs to be used with caution as the oil will build up and stop the leaf from breathing, Also being an oil the leaves will cook in the hot sun and usually fall off. Better to use it a a very low rate say 1/2 teaspoon to 1 litre of water than 2 teaspoons of oil.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Found this really great article on the RNZ Institute of Horticulture website — from Maggie Barry’s TV show a few years ago. Tells you how to deal with Autumn bugs.

http://www.rnzih.org.nz/pages/Autumn_bugs.htm

bevs
    Participant

I sprayed my passionfruit two weeks ago with Yates ‘Nature’s Way’, and for some days the vine hoppers were only on the roof above the plant, they wouldn’t go near the plant. I sprayed because my passionfruit had black spot on the leaves, but some of the fruit were being sucked by the hoppers.

I’ll post in here if things change.

Anonymous

I have been using Yates Bug Oil,said to control aphids & WHITE FLY. wish I could say successfully……..Seems quite harsh in the plants…….Val.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Thanks Heather.

I have a good number of aphid predators working in my garden at present – but those aphids sure seem to breed like crazy. I could swear that there are double the number out there when I go back the next morning.

It’s a full moon tonight, I might have another go when I should be sleeping. 🙂

hshingles
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,the best time to spray these insects is late evening or early morning, then you will get a good contact spray. As these insects and white fly are very active, best to get them while they are asleep.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.