Over wintering sites

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kmcintyre 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tina Nicholson
    Participant

Has anyone who monitors over-wintering sites noticed that all the females have disappeared to lay eggs?? We monitor several over winter sites around Whangarei and have noticed over the last few weeks all the females have left in big numbers leaving the males to guard their bachelor pad. Early season maybe??

Tina

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

kmcintyre

Tina,
    Are you still monitoring monarchs in the Whangarei area? Are you tagging. I live on the Tutukaka Coast and am tagging.
    Kathryn

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Caryl

That’s amazing – 77 days!

I have now met Tina and heard more about the wonderful work that her family is doing – she is working with her children and hopes to tag many more this coming autumn-winter-spring. I also hope that we can do a big drive in that area to get schools tagging. We could learn a lot more about monarchs there.

I was unable to find any overwintering sites in Wellington this year, despite my letter to the newspaper. However, I had several responses from out Kapiti way so hopefully it has generated more interest and once again, some coverage in the local newspapers there will help in the autumn.

A lot of the eggs that have been laid here have been infertile but we do have quite a few first and second instar caterpillars on their way. And no sign of any large numbers of wasps… yet.

Keep up the good work!

Jacqui

Caryl

Jacqui, I phoned the Miramar Golf Club close to the airport and a greenkeeper I spoke to was not aware of a winter over monarch site there. I had heard of one several years ago. He invited me to visit next winter. Despite the cool weather in Wellington I have too many eggs already so am sending some to Gore in the coming days. A few have hatched but I suspect it will be weeks before they make their chrysalides – it took 77 days last season from egg to butterfly.

tramp
    Participant

The Te Puna Quarry Park Monarchs decided that it was spring 10 days ago and with a weekend of clear blue sky and a warm sun they arrived from the bush area. They chased any flower they could find, the white manuka which has been out for several months is nearly finished flowering but a large Grevillia “moonlight” is full of flowers and Monarchs.
    Quite a lot of eggs on plants in town from which I have tiny caterpillars just hatched; weather permitting it could be an early start to the season. Tramp

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Well had a stunning day today and spent most the day outside at home. No butterflies at all spotted. Heaps of eggs on the plants but no catipillars yet.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Tina

Sadly, I’ve finished my travels in the north but messages I’ve left on your answerphone and emails directly to you have gone unanswered and I wonder if you’re getting them… hence this public response.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I Had monarchs everywhere over the golf course yesterday. Clear blue skies. None have found the plants I have scattered around the course yet. I have searched everywhere for overwinter trees and cant find any. We are mostly surrounded by bush on two sides and high density housing on the other two sides. How far do they travel from overwinter sites?

Tina Nicholson
    Participant

Hello Jacqui

We don’t know too much about the monarchs up here but are starting to build a better picture. Only really started this season after my youngest daughter’s(one of six) teacher was asking about the Hodges park butterflies when they walked up there from school on a trip and we let her know the history of them. We then decided to check if it was recognised anywhere, and it wasn’t, so have now made it known. We are also looking at another possible site on the Kamo-Tikipunga by-pass, hopefully we are not too late to confirm this as a over-winter site also. There was also a historic sighting of butterflies in parua bay, but there was no description where it was located. If that was a over winter site that could be monitored to. Whangarei seems to have a lot of smaller clusters which seems to harbour quite a healthy population. If you want to meet up and catch the last of the over-wintering butterflies that could be arranged.

Tina

TgaLiz
    Participant

I have several old Monarchs laying eggs in my garden swan plants, and thought I saw a coupld of males scrapping over possesion of the plant the other day. Lovely mild weather here in Tauranga, so lets hope we get some new Monarchs before the ### paper wasps arrive.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Tina

You are doing great work monitoring those populations in Whangarei – on behalf of all of us, thank you.

Speaking on my own behalf I have been unable to monitor any overwintering sites. The one that I’ve looked for locally and seen other years, I haven’t seen any this year. Maybe I’ve been looking on the wrong days/times but when I have been back to the spot where I’ve seen them other years, there’s nothing there. And yet monarchs are visiting my garden – eggs were laid yesteray.

We need more diligent and persistent people like yourselves who have the time and dedication to do it regularly, with consistency.

I called in to Whangarei last week but haven’t so far been able to connect with you. It would have been great to see these sites and learn from you.

Keep up the good work.

Jacqui

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.