NO MONARCHS

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  WendyMcLintock 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

TREVOR
    Participant

NO Monarch butterflies sighted,…NO Caterpilars or eggs on heathy, flowering plants with seed pods, Trevor…..CON TRAILS, maybe????????

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

WendyMcLintock
    Participant

If you are in Christchurch let me know as I have lots of caterpillars but lacking plant.

LeslieD

They love the flowers on swan plants + IME they will nectar off a wide range of flowers. The single dahlias and daisies .. I’ve even seen one nectaring on the simple field daisy that grows on an unmowed lawn. there is plenty round for them right now.

VickiB
    Participant

I had a couple of Monarchs visit my large (last season) swan plants in early October, and a few eggs were laid. These pupated and hatched (4, if I remember right) and then I had a great number of eggs laid. The cats stripped my swan plants bare, and a lot have pupated. I bought another 16 plants, about 1metre tall, which fed the remaining cats, and I have counted 75 pupae. My concern now is that I will lack sufficient nectar plants for the butterflies when they emerge, and I have no plants left at all for them to lay any more eggs on. I have bought and planted 24 orange zinnia which are now flowering, but don’t have much else. The red bottlebrush which sustained the Monarchs in spring have finished flowering now.
    Suggestions of what else I can do to provide feed for the butterflies would be appreciated.

kay2
    Participant

and havving written that this afternoon one weather beaten monarch briefly in the garden today

GrahamBourquin
    Participant

No shortage in Mt Roskill, Auckland. Monarchs around swan plants all/every day; 25 caterpillars in castle already. More on plants.

Vanda
    Participant

Hi Trevor. Whereabouts are you located? Here in Taupō I had an ‘eggsplosion’ a few days before Christmas, with only a handful of eggs in October.

kay2
    Participant

Have not seen a one in waipukurau as yet, dont have any plants this year, still have not seen any out and about anywhere. Last summer season was the opposite, had not seen so many ever.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Interesting thought! Can you please make sure that your report is added at http://www.mb.org.nz so it can also be counted ?

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.