No monarchs seen yet

This topic contains 44 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

kay2
    Participant

Finally a sunny windless day, maybe a monarch/s with show up today.

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies

smithereen
    Participant

I have plenty of bees and bumble bees thankfully, on borage etc

Charlotte
    Participant

I’m not seeing any Monarchs either, nor bees or bumble bees.
    Our Lantana and Black Knight buddleia are in flower and nothing around 🙁
    This is the worst I have seen the season.
    The few caterpillars we managed to rescue a while back are coming along in the butterfly house.

Is there anyone else in the Waitakere area (Massey, Henderson, Te Atatu) having any luck with Monarchs?

Cheers
    Charlotte (Massey Waitakere City)

smithereen
    Participant

I live in Devonport Auckland. I have raised about thirty caterpillars so far and half have flown off but no eggs to be seen. Ive killed a few paper wasps but not many of those around either. I use the butterfly castle when I find little ones or eggs but its a terrible yesr so far. I usually have them all year round in my garden but have huge plants just waiting at present. If anyone needs new homes for their caterpillars I am happy to take them.

Teresa G
    Participant

Two hatched this morning, hope the rain stays away for a few hours to let them dry out, however it is very windy up here again todsy. We are high on one of the many hills around the Bays so really catch the westerlies,

TgaLiz
    Participant

Thanks Black Robin – I look forward to seeing our beauties out and about again. I have a huge plant ready for them, with lots of fresh seedlings coming up around it, so lots of food here.

Black Robin
    Participant

I have been saving eggs and cats as soon as they appear on my outside plants and transferring them to my plants in the glass house. They have been few and far between but I have had some success as, at two days ago, I had 14 crysalises and 5 cats of various sizes in the glass house. Since then I have released 3 hatched monarchs,2 males and 1 female and it looks like I might get a couple more tomorrow so there should be a few more coming out the glass house and flying around Matua shortly!!
    Anyway things have got to pick up soon surely.
    Black Robin

Shirls
    Participant

Today after heavy rain this morning, we got some lovely sunshine, which produced 4 beautiful butterflies! 2 were female, I did not get to see what the others were. The winds have been terrible here today too (Hamilton), hopefully a few more sunny days will be coming our way! I have a number of chrysalis that are almost ready!
    As a side note, my plants are still crawling with yellow aphids. I am now feeding the plants with fresh chicken poop (my hens have it on tap!) and water it in well, there is lots of new growth on the plants too. I am spending every spare minute of my day squashing bugs or even turning the hose onto them!

Caryl

Seen three monarchs this morning on my plants in Seatoun, Wellington – females yay!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

BTW – just looking back through my notes. In October 2009 I hosted some scientists from the University of Georgia who were collecting samples of Monarchs to detect Oe from Australia and New Zealand… and on that particular day we drove to several well known locations in Auckland and couldn’t find many Monarchs at all.

I can’t recall the weather on the particular day they were here.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Very happy to see one flying over the road when on my way to town around 11.30 today.
    Did hope to find eggs on my big plant, but nothing to see yet. I have one precious cat inside, about 2nd instar, so hope that grows to maturity and I can release at least one this side of Christmas. A few paper wasps around, but I deal to them if I can get them. Think everything (and everyone) has suffered in the weeks of strong winds we have had. I’m in Tauranga.

kay2
    Participant

Pleased to hear there is one Jacquie. Asked at both garden centres and they have not seen any monarchs yet, they attribute to winds weve had or it being too early. I don’t know they have been here from October before in our garden There is an overwintering tree in waipuk, I went up to where I thought it was didn’t see any, may not have been in the correct place though.

Kay

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I was thrilled to see a male come visit earlier today!!! He was looking for females though of course, none here. 🙁

Today I went and spoke at the Gardens4Life at the Sisters of Mercy in Ellerslie… not one to be seen = such a beautiful garden too. Perfect for Monarchs, great swan plants there.

Jacqui, Blockhouse Bay, Auckland

Nola
    Participant

I’m not seeing any Monarchs in Northland either, but for some strange reason, they always appear in big quantities at the beginning of the new year. Hopefully that will be the same this year. In saying that, I have 7 huge caterpillars at the moment – 6 on one of Jacqui’s swan plants that I bought last year, and 1 on a tropical swan plant. All will no doubt turn into chrysalises soon, they are all so big and fat. I did see a Monarch flying around a few weeks ago during a brief sunny period, I assume she(?) laid the eggs. I have also had a couple of paper wasp nests which have been destroyed, one was actually hanging on a swan plant with a big fat caterpillar above it and one to the left of it. Our weather has been shocking though, although we have had 2 sunny days over the weekend. Back to misty rain interspersed with heavy winds this week though.

kay2
    Participant

Not yet Jacquie. Got 3 swan plants out the back and one in the front. The gale force winds we have had would have made it impossible for them to fly in. The winds have calmed down now in the last two days. Havent seen as many paper wasps now either, there were a lot making nests couple weeks back. We destroyed all the nests. I will go to the garden centre and see if they have any eggs on their plants.

Caryl

Jacqui, less than the previous 2 years and the eggs later too. Sadly I have seen few monarchs. It’s not looking good. I wish we could reach more people so that they would purchase swan plants. The seeds I threw around 2 places near me have not germinated. I must have tossed about 500 seeds.

Teresa G
    Participant

I have not seen any butterflies in Browns Bay for weeks but I have four crysalis and several caterpillars. Let’s hope the weather improves soon, my plants are looking strong and heakthy but I have noticed a few Asain Paper Wasps – we have destroyed six of their little hanging nests so far this spring.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Did you see any, Kay? Caryl, would you say (guess) the numbers are “usual” for this time of year in Seatoun?

Jacqui

kay2
    Participant

Waipukurau Caryl

Caryl

Where are you Kay2? I had a monarch laying eggs yesterday in Seatoun, Wellington. She didn’t appear to be a winter over one. I have a few chrysalises and a number of caterpillars.

Viewing 19 replies - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.