No eggs yet :-(

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

aleyyoung
    Participant

Hi there, I put one of our swan plants out about 3 weeks ago yet still haven’t got any eggs. Have I put it put too late? It’s in the same position as last year and we got heaps but from memory this time last year we had loads of caterpillars already.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Aley – those orange things are Oleander aphids – a pest, as they’ll gradually overtake your plant and may end up killing it. The green sounds like greenfly, a similar pest.

Try covering part of your plant with a net and see if you get caterpillars there… oh, I see I’ve said that already. Did you try it? They won’t show up for a few days – give it two weeks.

aleyyoung
    Participant

Thanks. I’m in CHCH. Last year my swan plant was overrun by eggs. This year none. Different plant. I’ve seen 2 monarch butterflies flying around the last couple of days but don’t see any eggs. I’ve noticed today though two orange blobs on top of two leaves. What are they? There are a couple of little green creatures on the plant with wings I’ve taken them off.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Have you seen monarchs flitting about your plant? Then, if you have no caterpillars I would suggest you look long and hard at the plant for signs of predators such as ants, praying mantises and wasps.

If you see wasps then probably throwing an old net curtain over the plant or part of it will give you the added “shelter” that the caterpillars need as protection from wasps.

If there are ants, use an ant control at the base of the plant. Praying mantises can be handpicked and removed to elsewhere in the garden.

Whereabuts are you? If you’re in Southland (example) maybe the monarchs haven’t arrived yet?

Hope that helps!

TgaLiz
    Participant

The paper wasps are pretty quick onto the eggs. There aren’t many of them, and I kill any I can catch, but the eggs still disappear fast. If I see a Monarch laying I pick branches with eggs on the leaves and keep them in a vase inside. When they hatch I have paper towels under the vases so I can clean the frass away easily. When the cats are big I have a jar of apple tree prunings ready for them to climb onto to so they can ‘J’. Not all are sensible, so if they ‘j’ on a leaf I carefully sellotape the leaf to a branch so the other cats don’t eat the leaf.
    I now have 3 chrysalises, and about 6 more cats growing steadily. It’s still quite early in the season so keep your plants well watered so they grow well. Where are you – I’m in Tauranga.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.