Nettle seeds

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

macmonkey
    Participant

Hi all, does anyone have any nettle seeds for sale?

cheers Stu

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Christina

They are advertised in our shop.

Cheers

Jacqui

Christina
    Participant

Hi Margie,
    I would like to buy stinging nettle seeds. All my childhood in Eastern Europe I have been eating foods made out of stinging nettles and I miss this a lot. My email is cr12999@gmail.com.
    Thank you very much
    Christina
    PS If somebody else has stinging nettle seeds please contact me.

macmonkey
    Participant

Thanks Margie, got the seeds today
    cheers Stu

margie
    Participant

Stupid me Stu sorry about that got muddled up do you need more

macmonkey
    Participant

Thank you very much for the seeds, but the note addressed to Terry threw me a bit. Will plant them up soon

margie
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Just wondering if thoes seeds are what you wanted and if they are, do you want some more. Sorry about all the green ones but to hard to sort them out form the brown ones.
    Margie

macmonkey
    Participant

Ta Margie,
    28 Berwick Place
    Tokoroa.
    Thanks for the seed

margie
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    I have managed to get a few seeds by shaking the plant into a bowl but as I did that a pillar fell into the container I put it back onto the nettle so I hope that it is going to be okay. There are still quite a few pillars on the nettles so I am reluctant to harvest anymore seeds incase I harm the pillars. There are plenty of seeds on the plants but some of the ones that fell off are green. I will leave them for the weekend and try again Monday. Where do I send the seeds I have here.
    Cheers Margie

Hi Stu, there is a rare native “swamp nettle” that would be a great thing to put forward http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/vascular_plants/detail.asp?PlantID=217 its in Gradual Decline and needs help!

Also get hold of Andrew Crowes book on ferns, that gives the host plant and the moth that feeds on it. There are also so many other species that you could use as a “flagship” species. Planting trees for Puriri moths etc.

You have a great opportunity to create an amazing native Lepodoptera reserve!
    Angie

macmonkey
    Participant

Cool stuff. Over this side the local council are asking for submissions for planting projects around lake moana nui. Just working on the draft submission for a butterfly garden for both the Monarch and the Admiral. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. might have to pick your brain every once in a while if thats ok
    cheers Stu

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

I have been breeding Yellow admirals for about 9 or 10 years, with good success. At present I have released all my Yellows to concentrate on breeding Red admirals. Waiting for eggs to hatch at the moment, oviposited in the B/house from stock.
    Cheers – Norm.

macmonkey
    Participant

Thanks Norm. Much appreciated. Address is Stu MacPherson
    28 Berwick Place Tokoroa. How much success have you had with Your Admirals?
    Stu

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Hi Stu

If you like to give me your address I will post you some Urtica urens seeds. While I agree with the eco-district principle, I would relent with ‘weeds’, (Regional Council interpretation) as I brought seeds with me from Palmerston North several years ago to start up here in Whakatane. The present seeds were gathered from my main crop last Spring, 10 days ago I planted a heap in a large container and they are up already.
    Norm.

margie
    Participant

Thanks Terry I have posted you a reply in the photos section.
    Cheers Margie

Terry

Hi Margie

Your Yellow and Red Admirals will definitely not eat White Dead Nettle, Lamium Album, the family Urticacaea is the family of plants you need, like Urtica Urens, Urtica Incisa, Urtica Ferox, Urtica Dioica, Urtica Austalis, and a few others of the same family or similar, like, Parietaria, Pellitory, or the Boehmeria’s which are also a member of the Urticacae family but found in warmer climates and do not sting

margie
    Participant

Sorry wings and rfmas I haven’t had a chance to go over and take a photo yet my hubby took the camera away hunting in the weekend but that link you posted wings1 is not the nettle I have lots of sorry. The one I have stings like mad when touched, I will have a closer look at the flowers or what I thought were flowers, they were tiny wee things at the top of the plant. Will go and take a photo tomorrow and post them in the photo section.
    Cheers Margie

is this the plant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamium_album it looks so much like Urtica Dioca… I wish my admirals would eat it…no stinging hairs!

margie
    Participant

Cheers Rodger will walk over and take a photo of them tomorrow and post it then you will be able to let me know if I am wasting my time on it.
    Cheers Margie

RogerF
    Participant

Hi Margie
    White flowers sounds like Lamium album, white dead nettle, which is not a true nettle.
    The flowers are 1-2cm in length, a bit like a lavender flower, but white, and occur in whorls of about 6-12 at the upper nodes. If it fits this description then it will not feed admiral caterpillars.
    Hope this helps, Roger

margie
    Participant

I have nettles growing around me down here that have white flowers on them but I don’t know anything about them as to how to harvest them or when they are ready to harvest up till reading this forum re admirals I always thought nettles were just nuisence weeds but now I am leaving them to grow. I even potted one from my son’s garden in Dunedin as it was a lovely big dark green one but alas I forgot to bring it back with me and by the time I rang them to say it was in a pot at the bottom of their garden he had sprayed it. But I have had a good walk around here and have found a lot growing in the paddock next door. I will keep an eye on them and if anyone can give me advice on when they seed and how to get the seeds I am happy to post them to who ever wants them.
    Cheers Margie

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.