Nettle leaves dying

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jane 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Cullen
    Participant

I have stinging nettles and the leaves are turning yellow, or dying but i do water them everyday can someone please help?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jane
    Participant

Urtica urens does far better in the garden than in pots, and will last much longer with some shade for at least part of the day. Urtica urens has a definate season and then dies off after seeding, so a dedicated area where it can be allowed to seed around is ideal. Aim to naturalise them so that they become self perpetuating. Your nettles will also appreciate good soil and will benefit from any compost you can give them.

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

They may well do better in the garden in a shady spot, in which case they will drop their seed and propagate. But keep a close watch in case an admiral does visit and lay eggs, as these will be devoured by ants and praying mantids while still very small caterpillars.

Cullen
    Participant

It is the large Urtica Urens, would it be best if I put the nettle in the garden? I haven’t seen any Red or Yellow Admiral caterpillars or butterflies on the nettles.

NormTwigge
    Keymaster

Hi Cullen, which type of nettle is it, Urtica urens or Urtica dioica?
    Urtica urens will have some leaves that die off, with the rest of the plant OK. However if the whole plant is affected there may be some disease involved, or possibly if it is in a pot sitting on concrete the root system can get too hot.
    Urtica urens does best with part shade, and over-watering can sometimes be a problem if the mix is wet rather than moist. Is there still plenty of leaves or have the caterpillars eaten most of them?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.