Need swan plant, Auckland?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

If you have too many caterpillars on your swan plants, please don’t phone me. I am swamped too, and although I have big plants in my garden, I am thinking about the hundreds of pupae that my first generation have turned into… and what will happen when they are ready to breed.

The MBNZT predicted this situation arising some months ago when we heard that there would be 81,000 less swan plants (and big ones too) on the market this year in Auckland because one grower had his business on the market. Raising swan plants commercially is very labour intensive as if you want to produce the best food for monarchs you have to somehow control aphids without using pesticides – and then if one monarch gets into your growing area… well you can imagine. He can’t sell sticks, can he?

If you have too many caterpillars you can inquire at the local primary school and you could post in your local community pages. There might be plants growing wild near you. But the chances are that they have the same problem. And your caterpillars are pretty much doomed. The best way you can help the monarchs is to get a packet of seeds (or packets) and plant lots of plants for NEXT YEAR. Or buy a few extra of the small plants for NEXT year. You could put your caterpillars on that dreadful weed, moth vine, or pumpkin and hopefully some will survive to become adults. If you have friends, family or whanau in Northland or the Bay of Plenty where it’s warmer, ask them if there are swan plants growing wild near them, and if they or someone can bring them down to you. Sometimes there are self-sown plants that people weed out and throw away.

If the plants get eaten, even without leaves, DO NOT throw them in the compost but plant the roots and stems and hopefully they will regenerate. And if you love monarchs, PLEASE plan ahead for next year. And please share this message with others.

If others have tips too, please post them here. Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Still waiting to hear Jacqui, as its a lady through our butterfly group. One of the volunteers daughters at the community hub has grown the plants and their raising funds for their rowing trip 🙂 once I know I will place it up here.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

One of our Tauranga members says:

If anyone is coming to Tauranga I have big healthy plants and hardly any eggs.
    I have 7 chrysalises inside, and only 2 more cats so will certainly have food for some refugees.

Contact me on jacqui@monarch.org.nz if interested.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Great work, Charlotte – do you know how big they are (roughly).

Charlotte
    Participant

SWAN PLANTS FOR SALE…
    $2 each or 3 for $5 you can contact 836 7663. Niki Baily.
    These plants will also be for sale at the Te Atatu South community market tomorrow Saturday 14th November, please go along and help the girls raise funds for their rowing team, as they’ve put a lot of effort into growing the plants,thank you…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.