'Monarch' tree cut down

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

While walking through Dominion Park,Nawton,Hamilton I was saddened to notice that a large conifer tree had been cut down. All last winter this tree & one on either side of it had been host to Monarch butterflies; a fledgling over-wintering site, with up to 30 butterflies sheltering here. On a sunny winter’s day they would fly off, & would return as the day got colder. No doubt there was a good reason for the tree to be removed; I can only hope that the other 2 will be allowed to remain.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hello Di, yes please do so, jacqui@monarch.org.nz

monkey
    Participant

Jacqui I have eventually had a really good reply from the person in charge of trees for Hamilton City Council. Our correspondence is quite large & probably not for publication on this forum. Can I email you privately?
    Di

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Awesome, thanks for that.

monkey
    Participant

Actually I did report that I had seen quite a few Monarchs over winter in Dominion Park last winter. I think it might have been while you were away as it was someone else who replied to me.
    I have reported the cutting down of the tree on the Hamilton Neighbourly website.

I will send a copy of my email to the Hamilton City Council, & maybe send a copy to Letters to the Ed of Waikato Times.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Who would be the relevant authority, Monkey? It would be good to ensure that they knew about the overwintering colony – but I don’t think these trees have ever been reported in to http://www.mb.org.nz.

It’s a good reason why sightings should be reported in to the website – recently the data there helped us make a strong submission to leave conifer trees where they are in Christchurch.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.