Monarch butterfly predators

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Miranda 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Mygalomorph_Pa
    Participant

Hello Members.

Brand new on the block so please dont hesitate to delete this post if duplicated elsewhere or irrelevant admin.

Observed in my garden early last Autumn..
    3-4 excited mixed variety common garden birds eg blackbird thrush mynah, chasing and cornering a monarch in one of my feijoa trees obviously intent upon lunch.

A brief but excitable noisy estatic run down between mixed bird varieties with the prize in their crosshairs and monarch dismemberment centimeters from grasping claws and beak.

Common variety garden birds..
    Definitely monarch butterfly preditors in Northland.

(Yes I saved the agile but knackered MB)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Miranda
    Participant

My neighbour said she saw a thrush and blackbird peck all the pupae on a giant swanpant but not eat them. I hadn’t seen these behaviours at all in the last 10 years of supporting MBs. However this season I released two newborn MBs only to see a sparrow peck and kill them and not even eat them.

I wonder if the voracious appetites of the wasps this summer has forced the birds to look for other sources of food: https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/wasp-wipeout/99870169/wasps-are-wiping-out-new-zealands-native-bugs-experts-believe

FiLeBeau
    Participant

Well done you for your rescue of the MB. I have had 5 MB dismembered by birds since last year. Sparrows have been attacking them. My neighbour said she saw a thrush and blackbird peck all the pupae on a giant swanpant but not eat them. I hadn’t seen these behaviours at all in the last 10 years of supporting MBs. However this season I released two newborn MBs only to see a sparrow peck and kill them and not even eat them.
    I work hard for the MBs, Admirals, and Blues in my garden and I wont support the aggressors.So Ive decided to stop feeding seed to the sparrows which we have done for 20 years.
    Remarkably I saw a MB defend himself and fly feet first in the eye of a sparrow that was stalking him on the ground. The sparrow took off in fright. Bravo to the MB!
    I also saw a MB strike an intruding wasp with her wing whilst she was drinking from a flower. When the wasp tried to push her off the flower again she struck it again. When the wasp tried a third time she didnt even turn her head like the prior times and double struck it which sent it spiralling in the air. The wasp then went to another flower. She was so calm and didnt stop drinking the nectar – my utter RESPECT to her!!
    Kind regards – and welcome to the forum
    Fiona

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.