Matchmaking for Monarchs

This topic contains 53 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Tamara 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

It’s started later this year… but it’s happening. I am getting phone calls, emails, texts, messages and Facebook posts from people who have too much swan plant and want to get rid of it OR they have too many monarch caterpillars… OR the reverse: they want food or they want caterpillars.

So I’ve set up a Facebook page called Monarch and Milkweed Matchmaking.

https://www.facebook.com/Monarch-and-Milkweed-Matchmaking-934201763370682

Now I know that not everyone does FB so for anyone who posts here their needs, I’m happy to link that post to the FB page.

Let’s maximise the resources and build up the monarch numbers. Feel free to spread the word (and the link).

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Replies

natlil
    Participant

Heaps at Plant Barn Wairau also, plants stripped bare and caterpillars on the ground…the kids and I have taken what we can home but there are heaps!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Thanks Miss Jane, I will try and get there. Will also post on Monarch Matchmaker in Facebook.

Cheers

Jacqui

Missjane
    Participant

Lots of Monarch caterpillars on swan plants (Bunnings)

Hello, Anyone wanting more caterpillars or wanting to help caterpillars go to Bunnings, Grey Lynn, Auckland. They have so many swan plants covered in caterpillars and some have been discounted to 50c (feels very sad) I have bought as many as I can and told them that I am happy to go plant them in parks as worried they may throw out. Some plants where stripped bare by the caterpillars so moved plants around so there is enough food for them. I plan to go again soon to check on them.

Glenys
    Participant

Would anyone like to off-load some caterpillars as I have lots of plants with about 6 caterpillars all up. Plants are like brand new and untouched!

Would usually have had at least 500 by now and plants stripped.

I live in Tamahere Hamilton.

Phone: Glenys 07 8566920 or email: glenysw106@gmail.com

Brenda
    Participant

I’m in Hastings. I have only one fully grown swan plant and too many caterpillars. Can anyone help?

Brenda
    Participant

Hastings.

janelle bell
    Participant

brenda, whats ur phone number? where r u?
    from janelle

Brenda
    Participant

I have only one swan plant and lots of hungry caterpillars. Does anyone have enough swan plants to feed them?

vivhig
    Participant

Have managed to rear and launch ONE Monarch in Pukekohe, only have red swanplants, but will try to grow some common ones. Very few of those around here, it seems.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Hi Rio

I am happy to take them I will email you

Jacqui

delphis2
    Participant

Hi, I have just had to rescue about 40 eggs from my local cafe’s swan plant, as they have seven existing caterpillars, and the eggs would have been ‘culled’ by staff, to stop the plant being stripped.
    Please can someone with an established swan plant take these eggs? I am storing them on the leaves in a cool place and I am happy to post anywhere in NZ in a CD case, as per MBNZT recommendations.
    Thanking you in anticipation of your help. Rio 🙂

monkey
    Participant

Yesterday I went out to Bunnings Te Rapa store garden area & was allowed to help myself to Monarch caterpillars; I brought home about 40 & turned them loose on my swan plant enclosure which has heaps of growth. They immediately crawled out of the box & spread themselves out munching as they went! They were all at (probably) the 5th instar & had absolutely denuded all the big plants at Bunnings, I’m sure the staff were pleased to see so many taken! But there were heaps left………
    If anyone wants caterpillars it might be a good idea to contact your local garden center. Otherwise in sheer self-defence the staff may have to dispose of the cats…..

delphis2
    Participant

Hi, I have seven hungry wee beasties who have stripped all my swan plants.I’ve bought several new swan plants but as fast as I buy them the caterpillars strip them. Does ANYONE have an established swan plant in Christchurch where I can relocate them? Many thanks, Rio 🙂

monkey
    Participant

I have just been into Bunnings Te Rapa shop, & in the gardening section the large swan plants are covered in cats, mostly ready to pupate, with some Js in evidence.

If someone wants some I’m sure they will be only too pleased to give some cats away.

But take a box, & don’t let staff pick them up with their fingers, better to snip off the leaf they are on as handling them can kill.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Bob, there are people in Christchurch with eggs to spare (and caterpillars). Do you use Facebook? Look at the page @MonarchMatchmaker.

Hope you find some!

Jacqui

Bob
    Participant

Can I obtain eggs from any member?
    I have 2 Large Swan Plants and to date here at Mosgiel we haven’t seen even one butterfly
    this summer.

Bob.

Dejavu23
    Participant

Hi my number is 0275734750 I still have a lot of caterpillars I’m getting desperate have been buying Swan plants daily don’t think I can do it much longer so if anyone needs caterpillars Christchurch new Brighton area please let me know

Ellswell
    Participant

Urgent help required. As ignorant to needs, our 1 1/2 swan plants are over run with 40+ caterpillars and out of feed. We have plenty of courgettes which read they will survive on when 2CM long, but most aren’t. If able to help please ph 981-3912 Live in Christchurch, Aranui

MissPickles
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I leave in the Riwaka, Motueka area. Were I have been rearing Monarchs for the last three years. Last year was my first year tagging Monarchs!
    Usually by this time I would have readed my first lot of Monarhs, about acouple of hundred! And would be into my second round of rearing. I can usually rear about 3 lots, reared just over 2,000 last summer and into Autumn. So far I have reared 8!!! Have had two sometimes three of the Monarchs I let go flying around the garden, but they just dont seem to be laying eggs!!
    So I was wondering if you have heard of anyone in the Nelson/Motueka area that might have to many caterpillars? Have reared some Red Admiral’s as well but Paper Wasps are diffently getting down on those!
    Regards misspickles

monkey
    Participant

Hi Stu – I don’t text.
    I also live in Nawton & have heaps of caterpillar food, & hardly any cats or eggs despite having lots of Monarchs flying around every day.

I would be interested in contacting you to compare notes. Did you know that there are 3 trees in Dominion Park which appear to be wintering-over sites for quite a few Monarchs?

I usually raise several hundred butterflies each season. This season I started well but just now there’s not much happening
    Di 07 8462965

campbells1
    Participant

I have that much feed I dont know what to do with it – if anyone in Hamilton is having luck and lacks food for the babies, give me a text Stu 0273319534. Help yourself to some plants too. Nawton area.

ASinnott
    Participant

Swan Plants: 6 Mature Plants 2 M approx. These plants are in my garden easily accessible and can be dug out with little effort. I need them removed as I now have an oversupply of Swan Plants in my garden. My garden is in the Epsom Area.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Dejavu23 – how would they contact you?

Dejavu23
    Participant

Hi I live in christchurch I have one medium sized and one small swan plant with ALOT of caterpillars just wondering if anyone would be interested in taking them? I have two house cats one is a young kitten so just don’t think it would be ideal if i tried to raise them myself I also do not have any experience with this kind of thing if anyone is interested please let me know I live in New Brighton area thanks

monkey
    Participant

I’m in Hamilton, I have some seedling swan plants which anyone who wants to grow them on can have. Also have plenty of food which can be cut & put into jars of water for immediate consumption by cats.

Di- phone 07 8462965 – leave a message if no answer

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.