Matchmaking for Monarchs

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  monkey 16 hours, 38 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui
    Keymaster

It’s started later this year… but it’s happening. I am getting phone calls, emails, texts, messages and Facebook posts from people who have too much swan plant and want to get rid of it OR they have too many monarch caterpillars… OR the reverse: they want food or they want caterpillars.

So I’ve set up a Facebook page called Monarch and Milkweed Matchmaking.

https://www.facebook.com/Monarch-and-Milkweed-Matchmaking-934201763370682

Now I know that not everyone does FB so for anyone who posts here their needs, I’m happy to link that post to the FB page.

Let’s maximise the resources and build up the monarch numbers. Feel free to spread the word (and the link).

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

monkey
    Participant

I have just been into Bunnings Te Rapa shop, & in the gardening section the large swan plants are covered in cats, mostly ready to pupate, with some Js in evidence.

If someone wants some I’m sure they will be only too pleased to give some cats away.

But take a box, & don’t let staff pick them up with their fingers, better to snip off the leaf they are on as handling them can kill.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Bob, there are people in Christchurch with eggs to spare (and caterpillars). Do you use Facebook? Look at the page @MonarchMatchmaker.

Hope you find some!

Jacqui

Bob
    Participant

Can I obtain eggs from any member?
    I have 2 Large Swan Plants and to date here at Mosgiel we haven’t seen even one butterfly
    this summer.

Bob.

Dejavu23
    Participant

Hi my number is 0275734750 I still have a lot of caterpillars I’m getting desperate have been buying Swan plants daily don’t think I can do it much longer so if anyone needs caterpillars Christchurch new Brighton area please let me know

Ellswell
    Participant

Urgent help required. As ignorant to needs, our 1 1/2 swan plants are over run with 40+ caterpillars and out of feed. We have plenty of courgettes which read they will survive on when 2CM long, but most aren’t. If able to help please ph 981-3912 Live in Christchurch, Aranui

MissPickles
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I leave in the Riwaka, Motueka area. Were I have been rearing Monarchs for the last three years. Last year was my first year tagging Monarchs!
    Usually by this time I would have readed my first lot of Monarhs, about acouple of hundred! And would be into my second round of rearing. I can usually rear about 3 lots, reared just over 2,000 last summer and into Autumn. So far I have reared 8!!! Have had two sometimes three of the Monarchs I let go flying around the garden, but they just dont seem to be laying eggs!!
    So I was wondering if you have heard of anyone in the Nelson/Motueka area that might have to many caterpillars? Have reared some Red Admiral’s as well but Paper Wasps are diffently getting down on those!
    Regards misspickles

monkey
    Participant

Hi Stu – I don’t text.
    I also live in Nawton & have heaps of caterpillar food, & hardly any cats or eggs despite having lots of Monarchs flying around every day.

I would be interested in contacting you to compare notes. Did you know that there are 3 trees in Dominion Park which appear to be wintering-over sites for quite a few Monarchs?

I usually raise several hundred butterflies each season. This season I started well but just now there’s not much happening
    Di 07 8462965

campbells1
    Participant

I have that much feed I dont know what to do with it – if anyone in Hamilton is having luck and lacks food for the babies, give me a text Stu 0273319534. Help yourself to some plants too. Nawton area.

ASinnott
    Participant

Swan Plants: 6 Mature Plants 2 M approx. These plants are in my garden easily accessible and can be dug out with little effort. I need them removed as I now have an oversupply of Swan Plants in my garden. My garden is in the Epsom Area.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Dejavu23 – how would they contact you?

Dejavu23
    Participant

Hi I live in christchurch I have one medium sized and one small swan plant with ALOT of caterpillars just wondering if anyone would be interested in taking them? I have two house cats one is a young kitten so just don’t think it would be ideal if i tried to raise them myself I also do not have any experience with this kind of thing if anyone is interested please let me know I live in New Brighton area thanks

monkey
    Participant

I’m in Hamilton, I have some seedling swan plants which anyone who wants to grow them on can have. Also have plenty of food which can be cut & put into jars of water for immediate consumption by cats.

Di- phone 07 8462965 – leave a message if no answer

SCUBADEL
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,
    scubadel@hotmail.com, sorry, I thought the trust had my email contact.
    HNY!
    Derrick.

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Scubadel – how would people contact you?

SCUBADEL
    Participant

I live in Northland, Donnellys Crossing…..loads of Swan Plants, very few Monarchs, I have seen 1 butterfly, she laid a few eggs and later I saw 2 caterpillars but that’s it….I keep on top of the wasps and predators, but am in need of some caterpillars.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.