Mantis

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 3 days, 19 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Leslie
    Participant

Ive seen Mantises eating caterpillars, but never before today : mantis eating a newly hatched butterfly !! Dang ! Needless to say neither of them survived.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD

I used to keep mantises as pets when I was a kid, along with frogs, and even snails had a brief stay in my dollhouse lol. I’ve come to see that ‘everything has to eat’ and prefer to relocate the pests although shieldbugs in the process of sucking a caterpillar are unlikely to get sympathetic treatment and wasps get exterminated.

Vanda
    Participant

I leave praying mantises alone, personally. The same can’t be said of wasps.

Mantises kill all sorts of pests in the garden (shield bugs, aphids, flies, leaf-hoppers, shield bugs, weevils, etc) as do spiders (and I’ve seen spiders killing mantises that get caught in webs too!) – apologies if you know this as I don’t mean to sound preachy 🙂

I don’t think mantises cause the same amount of trouble as wasps and tachinid flies do to the monarch population in NZ. I think they’re beautiful, fascinating creatures 🙂

Martie
    Participant

Yes Leslie that is true. I new hatched Butterfly which I Tagged. Saw a Mantis starting to eat the newly Hatched Butterfly. Thank goodness I saved it in time. But killed the Mantis. If I see any mantis around I kill it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.