Locating Chrysalis

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  caroldee 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

delphis2
    Participant

Second question: I have two chrysalis YAY! but I noticed before when the caterpillars were active they were wandering perilously close to the junction where the weatherboards meet the ring foundation which has a gap of about 1.5cm. This is where the chrysalis have placed themselves so now I’m wondering if I have to enter my wardrobe, ‘The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe’ style, to get under the house and check there are no chrysalis hanging on in the inside of the ring foundation. Does anyone know if this would be typical caterpillar behaviour or whether they would have employed common sense and stayed on the outside of the house? Thanks, Rio

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

caroldee
    Participant

As a child (over 40 years ago) we lived in a 1960’s built house with a wooden floor and it sat up off the ground on a concrete foundation with a gap underneath with (just) enough crawl space – if you wanted to brave the damp and cobwebs. There was a little trap door for access.
    I can vividly recall one year we noticed a chrysalis hanging on the INSIDE of one of these little grates.
    This was so upsetting to my sister and I that our poor dad ended up having to crawl under virtually the length of the house to rescue it on the day it hatched!
    They sure do choose some crazy places to hang!

Jacqui
    Keymaster

Take a photo of it as we haven’t heard this season’s competition yet !

delphis2
    Participant

Thanks for that Jacqui. I think I just missed winning your chrysalis location competition as I took the plants inside for the night because the neighbour told me his cat has eaten them on previous occasions – and been vomited violently (karma) – and now I have a caterpillar doing its thing off the edge of a Jeremy Clarkson book on a pile of books. The title? ‘For Crying Out Loud’. 🙂

Jacqui
    Keymaster

I doubt very much if they would go somewhere dark Rio

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.